Terrain - Water, Water Everywhere + Big Brushes

Some good changes here, great work. Can we also get the ability to select much larger regions? The current limit is far too small for large maps. Regarding heightmap sheets, it would also be nice to be able to determine the thickness of the layer. I’ve also found that using many sheets can make the file size quite large.

I found a small issue with the heightmap tab: when you pick an image to use, then swap out the tool to something else like generate, the image is reset and you have to select it again.

4 Likes

Fun fact, the water doesn’t move in my game. Instead I move the whole map because simulating flooding smoothly is really slow on Roblox.

I’m a big fan of having water as a material for a part, so I could use smooth terrain in my game.

6 Likes

I thought that might’ve been a solution you used, cool! Love the game!

4 Likes

Small question. How much area does altering sea level apply to? I have a giant map (48K by 48K studs approximately) and I was wondering if it’s possible for me to change the animated part + mesh-based water to actual terrain water. That, and making the sea level changes either all at once or in somewhat large chunks.

2 Likes

You can stretch it extremely far, i managed to cover my entire map in one go. Currently its limited to 16,384 studs on the XYZ axis. Judging by this you would have to do it a few times and bigger chunks take a bit to render as well.

3 Likes

That’s actually a lot further than I expected. So that would be about 9 times. (About 3x3)

Also, thanks to the people who worked on this. Amazing update.

2 Likes

Woah, the sea level is so cool. Imagine being able to flood a town with this power >:D

6 Likes

I really like the Sea Level addition. It could help in the future of my friend’s game, which has lots of sea. Should the water system change, the sea level tool will surely help create good places to move boats.

2 Likes

Big support for this update! Much needed after all these years - Keep it up!

nice this is a cool update the Sea Level tool will be good for water worlds

Waiting for adjustable grass height, and an ‘anti-grass’ tool to come up later, that is what I believe would set up the final processes of terrain.

My bug as mentioned on the previous thread still persists, lag is tremendous when trying to paint surrounding terrain from X to Water, while having the “Ignore Water” switch on.

I would also like the ability to remove the cursor’s visibility while using the brush, as it could be distracting while developers try to focus to look at certain parts of the terrain through the blue brush.

Along with that, I believe that there should be a keybind to select the PlanePosition. If there is one, please do inform me as I haven’t gotten to actually see any evidence pointing towards it.

These terrain tools are very useful, but these don’t really help in mountain creation, when you’re trying to achieve things like

There are clear bumps in the terrain, and the smooth tool isn’t as effective in trying to solve this. It would be plausible to use the grow / erode tool to help reduce the bumping, but it’s terribly ineffective. It’s slow, clunky, and it’s quite tedious to do mass terrain development. I hope this can be improved in the future, as the current optimization for the terrain tools is quite insufficient.

Along with the suggestions and my ‘complex’ complaint, there is also another bug I would like to add to this;

The Smooth tool only smooths dependent on the brush that you chose in previous tools (grow, erode).
EX: You pick rock in the grow tool, grow some rock. Then you move to another part of your terrain project, and attempt to smooth terrain. The smooth tool won’t generate grass to smooth your terrain, but rather the rock material that you chose while using the growing tool. It will not change to grass, unless you manually switch to the grow tool and fix your brush.

An easy solution is to probably re-add the terrain grid chooser for the smooth tool.

7 Likes

the bumpy terrain is a quite old problem,i really hope that it eventually gets solved. You could try to draw your own heightmaps and maybe a colormap,or just use grass for the colormap and paint the details manually,it doesn’t worth the effort for smaller maps,but for larger maps like yours i think it is the best alternative.
Also,i love the look of your cliffs,they look like some local shale cliffs.
If you want to simulate strata,set your paint brush’s size to the lowest possible and paint the rocks horizontally with different materials such as basalt,sandstone,even limestone,then just change their colours to fit the colour of the rock.
Also,my trick to improve terrain is to make everything out of wooden planks. Their cubic shape cand help you control how smooth your terrain is. For example,for a smooth slope,the distance between every level should be equal. You could also use that in your map.

3 Likes

After having to rescale my entire layout just to be able to see and hit the ‘Fill’ button in the Region tab, I was presented with this lovely error.

1 Like

I get this effect with water viewed from a distance.

This only started happening when I got rid of my old water and started using the Sea Level feature.

4 Likes

This is a great update, but smaller brush sizes would be nice too…

2 Likes

Not sure we can get much smaller then what’s currently available? the terrain is made up of surfaces of a set size

2 Likes

This may be an LOD artifact. If you zoom in and then zoom out, do you still see the same?

1 Like

It’s relative to the camera. It happens in both client and studio. So yes

2 Likes

Not to sound needy, but I’d also love to see smoother terrain material transitions (especially from water to land).

5 Likes

That’s true. It would just be a lot more useful when making smaller details like stalactites hanging from a cave.

2 Likes