[Test] Platform Text Chat is coming to Experiences

-- You can apply this logic to just up and breaking the ToS. You aren’t giving up your freedom to create anything, this is not creatively limiting you unless your specific creative vision is to create a game that expressly revolves around 30 custom 56x56 buttons on the topbar on a 1080p screen. Roblox needs users to ultimately be the ones having a good experience on their platform for Roblox to succeed, regardless of if it deals minor ego damage to developers or not.

-- Also looking at the subject from the eyes of a “mere player” is something any good game developer or platform developer should do?? I’m honestly done replying at this point 'cause if you think looking at any sort of interface design from the perspective of a user isn’t the main consideration idk what to say to you.

5 Likes

-- Wait yeah no this would be a perfect way of indicating it, my vote’s on this icon in a speech bubble.

5 Likes

-- We were never able to fully disable the topbar as far as I can remember, we were just able to make it transparent back when it used to be opaque but it was never fully removable, there was always one or two buttons in the top left. And that should stay like that, you can’t let bad actors just hide the menu button, being the only way of accessing the menu for the huge majority of mobile players, and again users having something consistent and unchanging on a platform like Roblox is a necessity, even if it means sacrificing a small portion of the top left corner of the screen.

5 Likes

That icon was only for mobile afaik, no idea what it actually did though

8 Likes

Sorry but why is this photo being used like every time something related to the Topbar GUI changes? It has nothing to do with anything lol. Its clearly edited and would be better if actual screenshots were taken of this new feature.

20 Likes

This is bad execution, having 2 chats right beside each other is just bad ux. If anything there should be an overlay similar to the steam overlay and inside that there’s a chat window, friends list, links to recent/favorite games and a sponsored game slot. The overlay should be accessible anywhere on the client not just in game

7 Likes

Not a good addition. Having two chat systems next to one another only serves to clutter and expand the already massive top bar even more. This could have been like some sort of secondary tab within the actual chat menu (though to be honest i don’t think that a secondary tab is an amazing approach either).

Secondly, I’m not 100% sure how to feel about this. I get why it exists but to be fair i have to question how many people actually use the chat systems in general. Maybe this will help with that? Who knows, but i still believe third party solutions are worlds better communication platforms compared to whatever roblox has. If you could not talk using voice on third party platforms you would just use the in-game chat. I really don’t see a point in this other than trying to resuscitate whatever chat systems the general site/platform has.

8 Likes

Surprised you guys took one of the ideas I had, maybe coincidence but it’s still cool to see good ideas added to the platform.

Will this only be accesible from the new experience controls though? It’s too large for my screen so I still use the old menu, it would be cool if you added an option to change the pixel size or made it accesible through a keybind/esc menu, or to hide the roblox and chat icons at the minimum.

Edit: I just realized this is with the hamburger menu closed. This will clutter the menu more and this is a primary reason I don’t use the topbar.

It’s also a horrible idea to have 2 chat icons near eachother, especially given the clutter, and we should be able to access it from the esc menu.

If you brought back the sidebar menu this could’ve worked greatly but this just sucks man.

Another reason why you should give us the option to disable it.

14 Likes
  1. The message you replied to was written from a players perspective as opposed to the developer’s you replied with.
  2. There are already ways developers can bypass this and disable the whole topbar. These can be regarded as bugs I suppose, but here’s a user that used this nonmaliciously in their game. I recommend you to try it out before replying to this, if you do. But anyways, if developers can do it in their game and it works out perfectly fine, although I don’t agree with a developer having the permission to do so regardless, there’s no harm in letting a player do so and control if they want the Experience Controls to show up themselves.
  3. In regards to being consistent and unchanging, well, they already broke that part anyway. The menu is already very intrusive and clashes with many game’s style. This is how arcane looks like with the new menu.
13 Likes

Last time I used platform chat was in June, so I don’t need this. Add more settings please, let me disable stuff I don’t need!

5 Likes

Leaked New Roblox Settings (not really)

I wish these settings were real in addition to being able to disable the topbar, the last time I pressed a button on the topbar was probably a year ago.

added more

12 Likes

Still doesn’t help me much. Needs more.

2 Likes

I think the Eyed chat icon used to show the chat window when pressed.

4 Likes

In my opinion, it would be better to have something like this within the Roblox Menu to signify it has nothing to do with the experience the user is in. Perhaps it could a menu and be next to the People tab with the text “Platform Chat”?

3 Likes

Maybe the platform chat should be a setting or something? It’s really weird to have it ingame in such a confusing position on the topbar; it would make wayy more sense as a party chat that only appears if you join with a party, with the rest of the platform-wide chat being a tab in the Esc menu. It’s also really obvious that these topbar updates still don’t take games where the mouse is locked into consideration at all. The clutter is going to break immersion.

4 Likes

The old top bar was less invasive even the newer last one felt pretty invasive but this one literally kills the vibe for some games.

3 Likes

This feels like a faithful successor to Roblox’s old Studio Team Chat feature (that lets be honest nobody uses because Discord is better).

It would be nice if I could opt-out of this however, as I usually prefer to communicate with friends off-platform (mainly Discord, for filtering reasons) and that its another forced button in the unibar, but for people who prefer to use Roblox’s chat feature, this is amazing.

(wait i’m dumb, does this privacy setting disable it?
)

also can we PLEASE have the ability to add custom actions to the unibar :). The framework for it is there with SetCore so, please?

3 Likes

It would be nice if I could opt out of having a topbar in the first place on PC. I use keybinds 100% of the time and this just clutters the top left corner, especially when theres three buttons that im NEVER gonna use, and if I do use experience chat I just press /

This is all just clutter.

This disables experience chat. The one you probably use.

2 Likes

Wrong.

This disables the “Chat” functionality on the website and within the Lua App. It doesn’t disable chat within games themselves.

(also can i mention how horrible this ui looks)

This privacy setting controls in-game chat:

6 Likes

Really? I kinda remember there being a setting to turn off experience chat, sorta like how guest’s can’t talk.

2 Likes