Testing shopping experiences in Marketplace

Its being used to promote shopping experiences so you can get people to see all your UGC in one place, try them in game, etc. Not just any games.

4 Likes

If you look at the Avatar Shops category on the discover page, you can see the types of experiences that they are looking to push in the marketplace .These experiences are not created by UGC Creators and are often just glorified versions of the marketplace. This change just pushes more creators items out of the marketplace and advertises experiences that were already available in home and discover.

5 Likes

Sure do i love seing slots that could have my items on them be overtaken by UGC experiences that make more than I EVER did… FROM MY OWN ITEMS!!! As if players weren’t comming up to me and personally insulting me by calling me a “lazy slob who doesnt deserve to be making as much as experience developers do”

8 Likes

On paper this is a good idea, but when it’s not easy for people to get their experiences listed in this section it makes things extremely unfair. A small number of developers get a huge amount of revenue just because their experience is on this list. Any UGC creator should very easily be able to get their experience listed here

4 Likes

How can I add my game to the marketplace?

5 Likes

This is going to be problematic if it’s abused.

5 Likes

Can experiences that are not related to shopping at all but that have shopping features be shown in the Shopping Experiences?

5 Likes

According to context clues and screenshots, it should be explicitly avatar shops ( e.g. Catalog Avatar Creator ), but I can’t tell you for sure, because my app doesn’t seem to have the update yet.

5 Likes

This is PERFECT! Now finally the equal opportunity for everyone to get what they wish for, and can put the scammers out of the equation

4 Likes

that is crazy but uh… can i get a link to a shopping experience that is uncopylocked. i want to see how this works and i 100% don’t want to use it to get me some robux :).

3 Likes

Can someone PLEASE explain to me the difference between :

1. the UGC Creators - Selling on Market Place ?
  2. the standard developer selling their goods ingame & marketplace ?

I technically only need to create my own clothing & accessories (for my own game/exp).
So I see I can upload any of these items and sell them in our own experiences (vital), and also on the market.

So why is the UGC so sought after… (yet also denied to so many) ?

4 Likes

I think that should be a really great feature, but the problem is that than anyone can do this, which leads to marketplace games having almost nothing to sell.

5 Likes

Am I just the only one that gets scared whenever the official Roblox account posts an annoucement?

Jokes aside, this is a rather bad change… Why use the Marketplace to promote experiences that promote Marketplace Items rather then just using the actual Marketplace? What’s the point? If I wanna go to a shopping expierience, I’ll just search one up. No need to spam the Marketplace with random shopping experiences when everyone just uses Catalog Avatar Creator anyway, or when I could just search up “Shopping”, etc.

This also hurts UGC creators a little bit because for one, their items are being pushed down and two, potential items that could be shown on the Marketplace may not be shown if a user decides to join a shopping game instead, which hurts sales.

Rather than wasting time on this, maybe do some updates that the community actually wants…

3 Likes

UGC is low skill, low profit. Its just like working a job at Mc Donalds. Now compare that to making games. High skill, high profit.

2 Likes

Instead of releasing more and more pointless updates that no one asked for, maybe consider fixing your absolutely abysmal UGC QA/moderation? The amount of knockoff limiteds on the m̶a̶r̶k̶e̶t̶p̶l̶a̶c̶e̶ catalog right now is just completely ridiculous.

You’re not doing anywhere near enough as you should be to counter people uploading knockoffs and it’s not only impacting other UGC creators who are trying their hardest to get by on their own, but also traders and anyone else who own the original items that have been ripped off. It ruins the exclusivity and in some cases even the value that these items once had, and it’s saddening to see Roblox do frick all about it.

5 Likes

I have been following this discussion with great interest and understand the concerns about the fairness of the revenue share between UGC creators and experience developers like us. I want to take a moment to clarify our role and the value we believe we add to this partnership.

When a UGC creator designs an item, it’s a piece of art that holds potential. But potential needs to be realized through exposure and accessibility—this is where experienced developers come in.

Think of it like writing a song. A musician may create an awesome piece of music, but it requires a music label to get that song on the radio and into stores where it can reach listeners. Our role is like that music label. We create experiences that serve as stages for UGC creator’s designs, attracting and engaging users, and handling the complex technical and promotional work that goes into operating a successful digital storefront.

Our experiences are not just a marketplace; they are a launch pad for the items UGC creator’s craft with such passion and skill. The features we implement are the result of persistent collaborative efforts. These experiences don’t just exist; they’re meticulously developed and constantly refined to ensure that UGC creations are presented in the best light and reach the widest audience possible.

This is a collaborative venture where our staff commits every day to the technical, artistic, and social demands of running dynamic, player-centric experiences. We are here to bridge the gap between the UGC creator’s creative process and the player’s hands, handling the complexities of technology and development.

This partnership allows UGC creators to focus on what they do best: creating. Meanwhile, we shoulder the much larger ongoing responsibilities of development, promotion, and customer interaction. It’s a symbiotic relationship where both sides contribute essential parts to the whole.

We want UGC creators to know that we deeply value the incredible creativity and hard work that goes into every item created. Without them, there would be no products to sell, and the Roblox ecosystem would not be as vibrant and diverse as it is.

We’re all in this together, building a community where creativity and development go hand in hand to create something greater than the sum of its parts.

7 Likes

Exposure is one thing, getting an higher cut compared to the ORIGINAL creator is just unjustified.

At this point the cut just feels like a parasite that only rewards the developers for doing absolutley nothing and punishes the creator with taking away 40% of the revenue, leaving them with just 30%

I also want to inform you, that at the CURRENT RATES we only get 5 CENTS FOR EACH DOLLAR SPENT after all roblox taxes, including devex. This shouldn’t be THIS unballanced.

I could be doing much better if not for this, i have been pretty depressed and burnt out mentally thanks to the “awesome” fees we get on the entire platform by having most of revenue being pocketed by developers that just happen to sell items.

I actually have never been closer from just quitting UGC entirely thanks to recent changes + fees ontop the premium requirement.

4 Likes

I appreciate your honesty in expressing your concerns, and I recognize that this topic is charged with strong emotions. It’s crucial to have an open and honest discussion about these issues.

It’s true that UGC creators invest significant time into each item, often many hours, and that dedication is the backbone of Roblox’s creative content. However, it’s also important to understand the scale of investment from the development side. Developing and maintaining experiences that successfully showcase UGC items is a monumental task that involves thousands of hours of ongoing work from a team of people.

This isn’t a one-time investment like the creation of the UGC item; it’s an enduring commitment to ensuring that the items UGC creators create don’t get lost in the ever-growing Roblox marketplace. The reality is that without the right exposure, even the most outstanding items may never find their audience. Our role is to provide that visibility and to maintain a space where creations can stand out and reach potential buyers.

The 40% we receive is reinvested into a variety of crucial ongoing services that benefit all creators: server costs, feature development, community management, marketing, and customer support. These are not just add-on services; they are essential for the vitality and sustainability of the experiences that serve both UGC creators and customers.

We believe in a fair and equitable ecosystem where everyone’s contributions are recognized, and we are committed to ongoing improvement. That said, it’s important for all parties to understand the full scope of what it takes to make experiences like ours viable and successful for everyone involved.

2 Likes

I’m not going to lie, your comment seems disrespectful and hurtful. Calling what I have spent the better part of two years doing “parasitic” and claiming that we do “absolutely nothing” could not be further from the truth. We facilitate the sale of thousands of UGC items each day that likely would never have taken place without our heavy investment into our experiences and our community.

I would love to invite you to come check out our avatar editor experience before you attempt to invalidate me and claim that I have done “absolutely nothing”. Take a look around and keep in mind that every asset you see had to be created and placed there, that every menu you open and button you pressed was programmed by someone. Think about the tens of thousands of outfits our community has created and shared that are housed in our own off platform servers. Realize that all those outfit videos on social media passing around our outfit codes are being created in our experience and we are driving thousands of players to UGC purchases each day.

I really think this would open your eyes and mind to what role developers can and do play in the UGC ecosystem. We really do appreciate what you do as a UGC creator. We love to see your creativity and we love to share that and inspire people to incorporate it into their avatars. We are not “parasites.” We are partners.

2 Likes

Partners do not take unfair % splits. I personally consider this to be parasitic due to how unballanced it is, especially with endless loop of working and making new items just to make enough for literal peanuts from my efforts. 30% is insulting enough. It should be 35% from the start.

3 Likes