<To be deleted>

Yes, I’m aware this is different than my usual tutorials. My computer broke and I lost access to my saved cloud. That article needs to be rewritten and will come out… eventually.

Teambuilding comes in many shapes and forms, yet it all boils down to receiving the best of the best and making them stay. Believe it or not, it’s that simple. For example, let’s talk about a little game you might know that translates to “Pocket Monsters” in English. Since each team has a player cap, you have to ask yourself “who do I want to fight for me”. Now, dont get me wrong, I have the highest possible respect for my devs but I wouldn’t pick them over a dragon in a fight.

Now, what does picking a bird that breathes fire over a teenage developer mean in this case? Well, in layman’s terms, it means that I win. It’s relatively improbable for 2Hex to beat Charizard in this way. However, the important part about building a team is to win the situation at hand. Although Tom can’t win in a brawl against the beast, he can beat him in building on ROBLOX.

You’re most likely asking yourself: what does this have to do with teambuilding? On any team, you have to have the people who can get things done the most efficiently. Depending on your preferred size, it depends.

Solo Team:
In ny opinion, this is the most difficult option. To succeed, you need to stay on goal and be able to do EVERYTHING. Unless you’re a jack of all traits, I’d suggest buddying up. My favorite example of a solo team is Alexnewtron (even if his prime is behind him). If you can do it all at his sort of level, a solo project might be the choice for you.

The Duo:
Duos are blasts to work on, but you have to make sure you talk with each other or the project will turn from Bob and Larry to Cain and Abel. A good duo is truly an art in that it requires both parties to know what they’re doing. In ROBLOX development, a good example would be Badimo.

Three’s Company:
Ever since Egg Hunt 2017, big dev teams have been on the rise. With each member specialized in a certain field, games increasingly get better. Nevertheless, I have some warning signs to talk about from my experience on these sorts of big projects:

1. Quality VS Quantity: The (original) Button Challenge was a disaster. We lost motivation when the game didn’t initially earn us a zillion robux. Our quality also dropped to create more levels. When quantity overruns quality, projects die.
  2. Quality VS Quantity Before the big copyright claim, I worked on Pokemon: Creation of Zygarde with some amazing people and a naive manipulator. He coined the phrase “Lando greedy, Script cool” and opted to make everything free. NEVER DO THIS!! Monetization is the only way to keep developers on the project. Make the game have an opportunity to give you money so that it’s worth it in the end.
  3. Surround Yourself With Good Devs: As a team leader, I cannot stress how important it is to gather a team of competent individuals on your team. Although experience CAN be a factor (shoutout to Bslick, Mightyy, and Reversed_Polarity), it shouldn’t be necessary. We all were nobodies before our big break. I know that I was.

Now, what’s the takeaway from this, summed up as quickly as possible? Work in a group size that you feel you can make the biggest revel in the water with. Stay away from bad monetization and dont drop quality got quantity. Most importantly, surround yourself with the best: it tends to make you better.

2 Likes

This is quite a scathing read initially, I’m very sorry, I’m usually quite kind! I wrote this reply, and was like "wow this is harsh, but I think reading it will benefit you and the community if you write future tutorials. It starts out as basic fact correction, but then I decide to attack the tutorial’s structure and content. It was basically a flow of consciousness - But I hope you find it useful!

Badimo is not a two man team! Sure they have a lead scripter and a lead builder, but they have lots of other assets contributed by other very talented creators.

They are also full time devs - something which can’t be said of most roblox creators.

Describing Alexnewtron as a solo developer is wrong. A quick check of Meep City reveals:

It would also seem horribly (and surprisingly) offensive to public describe Alexnewtron as a developer past his prime - I suggest removing that remark! Its also inaccurate, Meepcity is the most popular game on the Roblox platform as measured by average concurrent, and he will have 2B visits by the end of this week or next.

The analogy to Pokemon at the start is confusing and vague, and I’m unsure if its particularly common knowledge Pokemon translates to Pocket Monsters. The biblical reference to Cain and Abel is also odd - in Europe I don’t think that reference would be widely understood, especially in more Scandinavian countries.

To be frank the entire tutorial is littered with vague sayings, trueisms, confusing terminology, anecdotes which aren’t explained or require a level of background knowledge which can’t be assumed, colloquialisms which make everything harder to understand, things irrelevant to the supposed (but admittedly vague title) and weird metaphors. If you want I’ll pick out an example of each, or of any one’s you’re unsure about what I mean.

I also don’t like the actual content - what you’ve said is incredibly shallow (and its made to look like a lot - unintentionally or not - by your colloquial writing style) and can be summed up with the following bullet points:

• Its hard to do everything in a solo team - avoid it unless you exceptional
  • Duos are good but can turn toxic
  • Big teams are popular, but avoid bad/manipulative people

The advice you give, as shown, is vague and basically common knowledge. The title isn’t really tied to the thread, you just give some advice about team size, nothing about actually managing a team. The entire thing seems half assed.

Here is how this could’ve been made better!!

You could’ve written a really in-depth autobiographical account of your experiences of working in teams, bad leadership moves that have been made, what the impact was, and how it could’ve been mitigated/better handled.

If you were going for something sensationally awesome, you could’ve done a Machiavelli style thing, where you lay out fundamental principals of team building, and then give examples of individuals following them/deviating from them, and how it played out.

I also have a habit of writing in a colloquial style, it makes you come across as a more likeable person, so its not a “I’m the teacher and you’re the student” dynamic - HOWEVER! If you treat your subject matter in a colloquial way and not just your language, it loses all meaning. If you look at my GameAnalytics tutorial (classic plug), you’ll see how I did it.

Now, I’m not sure this is the best style, but I did stay close to the point, no tangents and I covered my topic matter succinctly - or at least I didn’t do a bad enough job for anyone to complain!

Just a quick note, when you described yourself as someone who was once a nobody, but now you’ve had your big break or what ever, you’re now a somebody (or at least thats inferred), I had no idea who you were. Now I don’t mean this in a mean way, I looked you up, you’ve won a bloxy and you made survivor, clearly you’ve achieved stuff on the platform. I met Onett at RDC, and when he told me his name, I had no idea he was the creator of Bee Swarm Sim. Except when the game is MASSIVE people don’t associate might beyond the title of the game, if you’re lucky the studio owner, RARELY the devs.
I wouldn’t describe yourself in a manner which makes you look like you’re saying “Hey I’m a big deal” when most people don’t know who you are.

this was long lol

8 Likes

I wish I had friends…

Jeez. That’s all fair. I usually write studio tutorials.

1 Like

Great! I was worried you’d take my criticism the wrong way or feel attacked etc.

1 Like

Oh, I certainly feel attacked. That’s not what matters here though.

I’m mediocre in all elements of developing but solo dev is the only choice I have :sunglasses:

1 Like

Just to add on, in my opinion I think quality and quantity are equally important. Without quantity, what will players do after they’ve got the little amount that they can unlock and without quality, why would players want the items if they look or feel terrible.

I thought it was common.
Other than that I agree.