The Future of Filtering Enabled: Experimental Mode

Of course!

Was the ‘Making Kid-Friendly Games’ talk.

A few questions about how far this goes:

1. Does this effect groups and clans, as games are shown on their pages, does this mean that group search will filter out groups with “experimental mode” games?
  2. Will adverts for “experimental” games be shown to everyone? Below and above 13?
  3. Related somewhat to question 2, if experimental games will not be shown to users under 13 on the front page, will this effect sponsored games? These show up on the front page.

Thanks in advance and I apologize if any of these have already been answered :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Also, things like speedhacking, teleporting and noclipping can be monitored and prevented just through monitoring the player’s walk speed and whether they move position suddenly etc. Most exploits with a player’s character can be detected pretty easily.

These aren’t official answers, but I suppose it is the closest you will get:

1. I doubt it.
  2. I also doubt that they will show ads for Experimental games to <13s
  3. I also would presume that they won’t show sponsored games on the front page if they aren’t experimental

(That’s just my guesses)

tl;dr make your game FE, now

ye my game is FE lol I was just asking out of curiousity

I wonder though, if this means that FilteringEnabled games do have a sort of incentive due to the fact that they are likely to get more out of their ads.

It is paramount that either Roblox creates a remote event/function system that can not be spammed with invokes from the client OR Roblox needs to provide a tutorial on securing remote events from DoS-type attacks and any other possible cheats/attacks on the system. Until that happens, forcing devs to secure their game by knowingly exposing a vulnerability that was not present without the “security” is kind of nonsense. Even the workspace is not safe if a remote event or function is pre-scripted to modify the world in some way and the attacker figures this out - they can simply invoke it. Even with careful consideration of facts like that to prevent such a scenerio, a spammed RE/RF can easily lag or crash a game.

2 Likes

Are you telling me spamming a remoteevent can crash a server? This post belongs in exploits then.
Unless the developer is doing some silly overhead for every single request.

And if you post it there, you must upload a rbxl file that shows this is possible. It sounds like developer error to me.

4 Likes

Just a quick & obvious question - Will games with only F.E. still not go into experimental mode? | Since I hear that a lot of good developers use extra security, such as having everything in serverstorage & accessing only through remotes.
^ Just making sure I know & remember.

Asking since Level 7 and some other exploits can easily get past F.E.

1 Like

Hi Klighter,

FilteringEnabled works by blocking clientside changes from replicating to the server and other clients. There is no exploit which can bypass this unless:

• The developer’s use of remotes allows clients to abuse them (e.g. “Yes, I totally just earned 1,000,000 coins”)
  • It involves physics and the client has network ownership of the objects they’re simulating
  • It takes advantage of one of the holes intentionally left by the ROBLOX staff for legacy features, mainly with humanoids (but they are fixing this gradually as time goes on)
  • Some other extreme edge case which is not the case here

“Level 7” is real, but generally it’s something people who exploit like to throw around to sound cool. Level 7 means the client has gained privileged execution permissions for their own client – not the server. A level 7 exploit does not affect the server in a FE game because the clientside changes do not replicate. Exploiters will also enjoy boasting that they can exploit any FE game, but generally these boasts are bogus or involve one of the cases mentioned above.

If you have trouble with exploits in your FE game, ask in #development-discussion and we can help you improve your remote event/function security or redirect you to post an exploit report if its concerning a loophole ROBLOX intentionally left in – otherwise, you will not have FE security issues with your game.

9 Likes

I don’t really remember asking for that, but thanks anyway :stuck_out_tongue:
Would you happen to know the answer to my question though?

You were claiming that “Level 7 and some other exploits can easily get past F.E” which is a statement that indicates that you may not fully understand what FilteringEnabled does and how most exploits work, which is why EchoReaper gave you that explanation.

The answer to your question is that if you have FilteringEnabled ticked in every single place that belongs to your game, then your game will not be labelled as experimental. It is labelled as experimental if there are one or more places in your game that don’t have FilteringEnabled ticked. The FilteringEnabled toggle is the only thing that affects whether your game is experimental (FE turned off) or not (FE turned on).

9 Likes

Alright, thanks :slight_smile:

Hey everyone,

The experimental mode changes announced in this thread have now been rolled out for testing. We will make another announcement when this is officially out for everyone. If you have any questions or concerns please post in this thread and our team will follow up with an answer. :slight_smile:

FAQ
Q: Why is my Roblox game displaying as Experimental Mode even though the Filtering Enable check box is marked in Studio?
A: A new server instance is required to start in order for the game page to update.

Thanks,
Developer Relations Team

10 Likes

It may have already been asked and answered, but there are a lot of posts and a quick scan did not tell me:

Is the FE toggle scheduled to be moved away from Workspace and onto the website?
Is the FE property scheduled to be removed and no longer able to be read by scripts?

2 Likes

Toggling experimental mode will ultimately be done through a widget in Studio although at the moment it is still done through the FilteringEnabled property. When the widget launches the FE property will be deprecated, although it will still reflect the correct experimental status.

3 Likes

Now can we expect a more clear, precise and easier to understand FE do/don’t’s and help that’s available to all users on the platform? There’s so many people who don’t understand about FE and whilst the wiki documentation is good, it’s not enough for something as fiddly as FE. It would be awesome if there was a full video explaining all about it and how to use it safely.

1 Like

Hello,
recently I’ve been experiencing people get build tools via an exploit and destroy stuff. Although, the effect is only local. Although, they can break stuff and walk through it etc. They can then get into places they’re not allowed in and steal stuff from ‘item givers’ or something.

This is what I meant a while back about them still being able to ‘hack’ in-games. Just… Locally.

1 Like

Users could just noclip through the doors instead of using build tools to delete them, so there’s not much that can be done about that. This is something that’d you’d need to deal with in your games on an individual basis – you know where users are allowed and where they’re not, so if someone gets into an area they’re not supposed to be, you can teleport them back to where they should be. If they repeatedly do this, you can kick them.

1 Like

Will the experimental mode state reflect the current value of FilteringEnabled before it is deprecated, or do we have to manually go in and turn it off?

Yes. If you look at your places in the Develop page, you can see that the already have the correct experimental mode state.