The future of immersive communication on Roblox

man y’all are pressed over nothing lmao i think this is sick

1 Like

did you ever figure it out? I can’t seem to get it

2 Likes

This feels rushed, no option to disable it whatsoever, why?
Also when are we getting VC API?

2 Likes

Roblox is a game platform. You cant take one look at it beyond vary surface level info and come to a different conclusion.
Having an end goal isnt the line between “game” and “social experience”. You wouldnt look at animal crossing or something as a “social experience”
Even then saying it was never a gaming platform is a straight up lie considering they used to advertise themselves AS a gaming platform

4 Likes

imagine some simulators with this vc stuff or some 17+ games

1 Like

Roblox is multiplayer by default and you can easily hang out with your friends or random people from around the world. Animal Crossing is single player by default and forces you to meet people in person or pay for an online subscription to play it multiplayer , has a “campaign” where you upgrade your house and/or upgrade the town. Animal crossing is therefore not a social experince but rather a game.

1 Like

I wouldnt call my own game a social experience, its multiplayer, it has no big end goal, but theres more to it then that.
Its just a simple game where you fight and try to get the most kills. A simple pvp game.
Its not just the existence of an goal that defines a game.
Sure theres emotes and you can still use the chat.
But theres still a game to be played. The act of it being on roblox doesnt just make it a social experience like you seemingly think it does.

And before you think about saying that the pvp is the end goal what avout bloxfruits? Or are you just gonna pull out some random reason for why thats a “social experience” but mine is a game

4 Likes

I’m sorry but who asked for this,

Waste of time, money, and company recourses, Typical.

I mean how hard is it to just think of a feature that pleases both users, developers, and investors

3 Likes

I entirely agree, especially with what you said here;

Its honestly crazy how much Roblox “Pumps and dumps” features that initially have incredible amounts of potential, then send those exact same recourses working on said feature straight to a new one such as this, what a waste!

7 Likes

Who at Roblox thought this was a good idea. I am now receiving system level calls on my iPhone with no way to turn it off.

Blocking/unfriending is not a valid solution here, I just do not want the feature on.

I am not going to complain about features if they are optional but I don’t think it is fair to turn this on by default with no way to turn it off.

4 Likes

Wow, so much hate in these comments. Basically, looks like a replacement for out of game 3rd party communication. Is that good or bad, only time will tell? I talked to a group of teens that play a lot of Roblox in my family and they did not know the feature was coming out this soon. I asked them what they thought about this new feature and all of them were excited. I asked why and the number one response was being able to talk with friends in-game without using outside programs (steam, skype, discord, whatever…) That doesn’t mean it will replace those 3rd party chat and communication tools, only that they will not need to run them on top of the game to talk.
So while some devs are rolling their eyes in this topic :roll_eyes: , it doesn’t mean players won’t use it or think it’s useless. It’s all about perspective. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

5 Likes

The thing is you cant actually use it while playing roblox cause it kicks you out of the game youre playing

2 Likes

This is true but none of them have been working on VoiceChatService API. This is pretty obvious cause it has remained essentially untouched, all the issues people were complaining about in 2021 are still here. Maybe the different teams should be working on improving features that already exist (such as VoiceChatService API) rather than trying to push this unwanted “awesome new feature”.

I don’t understand why you’re telling me this. Roblox could be defined as a “metaverse”, but being defined and striving to be one are separate things. The issue with Roblox is they release features such as this one just for the sake of being able to further push the idea of them being a “metaverse”.

4 Likes

Hi there!

This is an unacceptable solution for preventing calls. I want to be able to use the Roblox friends feature without worrying about receiving phone calls. If I wanted to receive calls from my Roblox friends, I would have given them my phone number. There needs to be privacy settings that allow you to turn off calls completely. I have uninstalled the Roblox app and do not plan on installing it until this is fixed.

9 Likes

I haven’t used roblox for ‘serious’ communication in 6 years and counting.

Group activity stuff? Discord.
Development stuff? Discord.
Being hired by a dev team? Discord.
Playing a roblox game with friends? Discord.
Handling bug reports? Discord.
Video calls with anyone except my family? Discord.
Video calls with my family? Signal.
Job related calls? MS Teams.
Job related video calls? MS Teams.
College lectures? Mix of Zoom and WebEx.
Every other college communication ever? Email.

At least with almost all of these I don’t loose the entire message log as soon as I close the application. PLus as long as I am under the potential threat of dealing with an AI banning me over PII, despite being over 21, when I’m discussing things like damage numbers and resource cost numbers concerning game balance issues, I’m just gonna keep using discord.

10 Likes

Does anybody know what the issue is here? I’m ID verified, with both microphone/video camera permissions granted.

I’ve also checked and my ROBLOX is above version 602. I’ve done a restart of my computer & ROBLOX, and the issue still persists.

3 Likes

cant wait to never use this and just forget about it lol

4 Likes

Both of these platforms have:
Friends
Chat
Group pages
Game pages
Marketplaces for account cosmetics
Built in transaction handlers
A form of currency derived from actual money (robux, steam points)
Gift cards that can only be redeemed for money on their respective platforms
A marketplace for content developers
Trading

So anyways, how about that metaverse that almost no one has played into? I haven’t even seen anyone build lore on the foundation of roblox being a unified metaverse outside of official egg hunts.

8 Likes

The Meta-Verse is coming… Mark my words…

2 Likes

Hey guess what? If you don’t wanna use it you don’t have to :exploding_head:

2 Likes