"There was a problem sending data, please reconnect." (game is using StreamingEnabled)

Hey, just wondering if there was a fix in the pipeline. It’s not especially game-breaking, but it does mean my servers have a limited lifespan. The memory usage increases by about 1MB per player every save cycle, which happens every 60s in my game. I don’t think I’m doing anything especially nutty every time I save. It writes their current data to a new key and updates another key to point to that one, which seems to be a fairly common use case.

A ticket has been filed for this issue. Since this issue results in servers crashing, we consider this a high priority to fix. However, since most people are still on break, we do not want to push any significant fixes until sometime in January at the earliest.

1 Like

Oh, right, I forgot you guys had code freeze. Enjoy your time off!

This has been occurring in my game which has StreamingEnabled as it’s a large map, could this be looked into? It’s impacting my game heavily.

Game: [BOUNTIES!] City of London - Roblox

Players get a Error 277 on disconnect

Can you also check few instances of your game and find out the “datastore/cache” usage in the server memory?

The usage of datastore/cache is only around 2.4, is that high?

This has been happening frequently in my game, can the team look into this issue?

Just wondering, but have you tried monitoring it over time? The average lifetime of my servers is around a few hours, for example, but the datastore cache memory usage continuously climbs until the server presumably gets killed for using too much memory.

Any updates coming soon? I think this is severely hampering my game’s growth now.

Yes, fix is on the way. Hold on for few more days.

1 Like

Thank you! I don’t mean to sound impatient, I just hadn’t heard anything in a while. Keep up the great work.

@mr_smellyman @BritannicEgmo could you check if the issue is gone now?

Is it a dynamic flag? If not, I’ll check it out when I shutdown all servers soon. I was planning on shutting down in the next hour or so for a game update anyway.

Otherwise, it’s still showing up in my current servers, but I’ll update you after I do the shutdown either way. Thank you.

UPDATE: It looks like the situation is improved. I’m seeing around 2gb of cache memory usage for most servers, which still seems pretty high, but it appears to be no longer monotonically increasing. Thanks for working on this!

For the future, it’d be great if Roblox published some guidance on how to avoid huge amounts of memory being used in datastore caching if it really is just a consequence of how it’s being used. I don’t think my game necessarily needs to be caching 2gb of data, but it could be that the way I use the API isn’t very friendly to however the cache is managed.

Thanks for the update @mr_smellyman. You can limit the usage of datastore cache by reducing the number of datastores created. See if you could modify your code to reduce the number of datastores created. I will put a note to update the documentation.

1 Like

This is happening to me now, its only in studio. Is this a bug or just me?

1 Like

Revival, it appears we’ve stumbled across this issue once again. I’m noticing a pattern though, This issue seems to only appear on the larger games. This issue happens every time I go in-game and explore my game a bit but the issue is I only have terrain and a train track built around the map. So I haven’t even transferred any of the tech into the game which would make it even iffier.

The strange part about this after doing some research this was an issue a few years back but this isn’t happening to me on any other game, Just this one. another thing to note when I was doing testing with a friend he had the same exact issue at the same exact time as me when we both had joined around the same time.

I hope I can get more information about this error message as it appears it could be a potential issue for the game.

Update

I ran a few more tests and found that without Streaming Enabled it kicked me instantly with the same error message as displayed above.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.