There's a new type of Medium article in town! šŸ¤ 

This is a great question and Iā€™m glad you asked it because it reflects that I neglected to mention our goals for this initiative in the original announcement.

Our goals for posting these types of articles to Medium are:

• to promote visibility of the incredible minds on our platform
  • to give more opportunities for all of our developers to learn more advanced subjects
  • to show to broader development communities that our developers are accomplishing amazing feats and Roblox is not ā€œthat kids gameā€ (or even a game at all)

The Medium platform helps greatly with the first and third bullet points; thereā€™s a pretty substantial developer and technical community on Medium already. The idea is that we want to leverage the intricate knowledge and expertise of our developers to show that Roblox is a serious platform and that they are serious game developers.

The DevForum is more suited for Developer Spotlights, I think, and feel free to express differently. Developer Spotlights are all about getting to know fellow developers better and understanding their experience and ambitions.

TLDR: We want to show off how smart you are to Mediumā€™s broader developer/technical community.

Let me know if this explanation makes sense or if I didnā€™t address something from your post :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Probably not, but Iā€™m aiming to have around a 1-week response time for articles that get approved. Depending on what else is going on, it may take longer, so donā€™t get discouraged. If you donā€™t hear back after an extended amount of time, itā€™s reasonable to assume the idea didnā€™t get approved. The good news is that you can re-apply with another topic!

2 Likes

Valid points. In addition to having a post on medium, you could do what Quenty did(?) and post on the devforum as well.

2 Likes

I think that answers just about all my questions and the initiative sounds great!

It does bring up a follow up question though that @Wrathsong mentions. Would there be any issue with a post being on both medium and say #development-resources:community-resources or #development-resources:community-tutorials ?

2 Likes

I donā€™t see any issue with it; we wonā€™t post them on the DevForum by default, but I donā€™t see any issue with letting developers post their articles on the DevForum as well :slight_smile:

6 Likes

What category would these articles best fit in?

I submitted a pitch about game design and code organisation- would something like that be fit for #development-resources:community-tutorials?

Iā€™d say thatā€™s probably the best fit!

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.