Thinking/Mindset To Adding Creativity In A Map

I don’t really know how else to put this thread in other words that may come out more understanding, but hear me out.

Everytime I would do a practice build, I would usually go in a step by step basis. Although since I find that is good, I get to a certain point where I can’t add more creative, surprising ideas. What I’m currently trying to achieve is a sort of idea, possible solution or guide as to how to go about adding explosive creativity onto a map which can wow players, and possible even developers in the case of showcases.

I’ve already tried gathering inspiration from some maps relating to the theme of some of the builds I work on, but as I move on to other things to build, it gets more limited.

Any kind of information will be helpful based on this topic.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

I always pick out ideas from certain themes and bring up some thoughts of lores or simply design-wise aesthetics. I have borrowed a few references from certain movies. Inspiration sources are not limited to just builds, I can also obtain them from reality or media.

Can’t get creative? Be less strict on yourself.

4 Likes

As mentioned in my other reply a couple of months ago, developers that are fairly new to the Roblox Platform or developing games as a whole, they tend to attempt to force ideas out which simply does not work all the time.

You should only build whenever you feel like building, and don’t force it - if you never have that feeling of you just wanting to build; then you don’t have the passion for it. This is one reason why I am against ‘practise builds’ as you are ‘actively pursuing’ to enhance your skills by forcing yourself to build things to get better; instead of doing it as a passion and letting your skills grow, as I like to say, naturally. Don’t get me wrong, practising is good but, from personal experience, it limits you as you try to think and get an idea out instead of that idea getting to you.

Another way, from personal experience, to build ‘creatively’ I tend to write- writing is extraordinary and will make you explode with thoughts and ideas; having a backstory to something that you are building will generate ideas, and having knowledge of the story of what you are building to will just make it that tad easier to get what you want. However, not all ideas are good and so time and experience will enable you to differentiate a good idea from a bad idea.

However, to summarise, creativity and originality is not limited to anything, so if you create something bizarre and different from the ‘norm’ which would often be classed as ‘weird’ then that is my definition of creativity and originality- it’s yours, and that weird might be the new trend in the unforeseeable future.

Good luck,
Sim

1 Like

Thank you very much! I’ll keep this in mind and work towards this.

Thanks for the advice, I’ll look to getting ideas away from only builds.
:slight_smile: