Timed updates + soft shutdown

As it stands, when it comes to updates you can only publish at that time, which means you need to be at your pc if you want to update at a certain time, examples being before weekends, or holiday breaks.

The ability to time when an update were to go live, example being a holiday themed update, or pushing a bugfix at night or during low playercount times will help developers follow their schedules when they dont want to be at their computer or just want to update when playercount is low to allow for closing servers and not losing a ton of players.

One major example of this being useful is love events, the ability to have an update published after the event occurs without needing to be at studio will allow for no downtime, and allow for players to see the new content all in one go without having to wait for the real thingbto publish.

A good side option for this is a built in soft shutdown to easily remove old servers and replace with new servers.

25 Likes

Strongly agreed on scheduled updates. My life can be quite busy at times, so being able to schedule an update going live and have it publish on time automatically would be greatly helpful. It would also allow me to hype up my community for a coming update with a specific release date and time, knowing I won’t have to delay for personal reasons that could keep me away from my computer when it’s update time. As for soft shutdowns, though, doesn’t migrating to the latest update already do that?

2 Likes

An internal soft shutdown system would be GREAT.

2 Likes

This is an amazing idea, as I don’t always have time to be in front of my computer to update the game. Scheduled updates with a soft shutdown would make life so much easier.

Here is exactly a module that does what you are describing here: SoftShutdown2 — Shutdown all servers with peace of mind!

1 Like

You can write your own program to automatically publish a new place version using the place publishing api.

having it built into the engine would be best

Another way is just to click Shut down all servers and users will get a Reconnect button which kind of servers the same functionality, expect they have to click once

I have a model that can do something similar to this. However, if it was integrated into Roblox without any external services, that would be better. I’d be fine with the current shutdown system if you were able to tell players that the server was shut down because of an update.

I’m not very sure if the “Migrate to Latest Update” feature does this already though (I’m not sure what it’s for).

the migrate option will rever the version back to the one picked, allowing you to do a revert to a stable version if the currently published version is broken.

1 Like