Tips on creating a placement system

I am trying to develop an item placement system for my game (like in retail and restaurant tycoon), but I have no idea where to start.

I want a system that allows you to rotate and place items, move items that are already placed, remove placed items and store the position of the items placed by a player. What is the best way to do that?

1 Like

Here you go :slight_smile:

1 Like

Actually, I have already read that. But it doesn’t say anything about moving items that already placed or removing them.

Also, I don’t quite understand the math behind it. (I’m very bad at math.) Is there a more simpler approach other that the one you mentioned?

Well, there are ton of ways to go about making placement system, there are Tile Based Systems, free placement systems , Pre-defined “block” systems. it’s really up to your personal preference

I would recommend looking at YouTube videos, like this:

(uses module)

Other Sources:

Ego Moose Created a good tutorial on making a placement system: Creating A Furniture Placement System ( same one as mentioned up above, but ported to the devforum)

Side Note: Don’t let that confusing math and stuff deter you( i was confused by it too and i still kind of am), once you understand all of it, its quite cool and resourceful

i made a building system, that you could look through( its a bit messy (code wise) and includes other building mechanics(you might not need), but hopefully it would be of some help) Building System - Roblox

3 Likes

Thanks @Jaycbee05, and @PMGDesigns too. I’ll look into all these :smile:

I wrote a module, though I realized it has some problems I need to fix. If you want this post shows you how to use it:

2 Likes

lol I made the first video series a long time ago. I don’t actually recommend that one since it has problems and that I took the last video down. I quit making that series a LONG time ago due to me creating a separate channel. And yes, I disabled embedding…

2 Likes

Thanks for the tutorial and the module :smile:. I’ll try to use them.

I think I saw it on YouTube. (oh wait @Jaycbee05 linked me to it in his post above)
The last video you posted was on December 2018 (I think), and I was wondering when will you make a part 9 in your tutorial series. I didn’t realise you quit :joy:

(Btw nice intro, how did you make it?)

Yeah I will not be using that channel anymore, but I am making a module placement module V3. What I am planning on doing is making a tutorial series on how to make a placement module after my module is released. So no, I will not be doing part 9, but on my primary channel I will be making an updated series on making a placement system using modules. It will be more advanced than the series on that channel.

As far as the intro goes, I made it using a site called Panzoid. It’s free to use and is easy.

2 Likes