Tool 6D | Tool Animation Compatibility Layer!

I do wish this project would also work with require handle, and I think many people agree. I pretty sure you just need to translate the handle movement into grip orientation, buuuuuut I’m not the smart one here so… I also don’t know if the creator even updates it any, there really isn’t anything to update in the first place.

Currently exploring a method that allows for easier animating for Blender animators, and Roblox animators alike.

I cannot exactly say when I’ll update this again to use that method, but rest assured, this will be improved in the future :smiley:

1 Like

The way I’d like this to work for me is as follows:

Imagine an animation called juggle is playing on the humanoid’s animator. Of course, this causes the player to juggle. Now what I want is, no matter what tool he equips(flashlight, apple, cup, etc.) , for the tool to have an animation synced with the juggle. Basically for the script to detect the handle of any tool then juggle it. Would this be possible with this resource? If not I would really appreciate any suggestion on how else I could achieve this.

This resource allows Tools descendants to be animated along with the character. You probably could achieve this effect with the current system, but it’s on a per-tool basis, so the animation would likely be reloaded per-equip, as well as the motors.

Due to the current scope of the resource, which is for per-tool animating, this doesn’t support the functionality. A restructure of the scripts would be necessary to get this working as intended, so you’re better off doing this yourself, or waiting for when I come back to this with a more dynamic approach (which may or may not support the use case you have mentioned, as it is quite niche).

1 Like

Hey I currently have a problem, when the tools main part, for this example Ill just called it Handle when I change it to something else inside of the Roblox Workspace, and also change it inside of the motor 6d script provided in this forum, it breaks entirely. I have no clue why, I changed the handles name to be ‘hitbox’ and change it to hitbox inside of the motor 6d script aswell and the entire thing broke. If you want I can try to provide a video source if this sounds confusing.

Are you manually changing it when you’re testing? If that’s the case I think you need to test with the server side not the client side. Also make sure for the motor6d script, part1 = Handle and part0 = (left arm, right arm, torso etc) whatever bodypart u animated with

This comment helped alot thanks, this was the issue I was having with my animations

Hey everyone who may be using this system currently!

I’m dropping an update very soon to this resource that makes it way easier to setup and get your Tools working right away!

Stay tuned, as you’ll be informed.

Hey everyone!

The new attribute-based system for Tool 6D has been added, completely replacing the need to open a script and edit values. The below is what has been added!

• Motor6Ds are created on the Client then Server to minimize Motor6D creation delay

• Motor6Ds can now have C0 and C1 offsets, supporting Blender animators who animate Tools and need to force a Tool grip

• The script method of creating motors has been replaced with a Configuration located under the tool called 6D_Config. This Configuration will hold other Configurations that instruct Tool 6D on how to setup Motors for your Tools animations.

• You no longer need to create a new copy of the script and put it under each Tool, as Tool 6D is now an embedded system that detects configured Tools automatically.

I’ve updated the article to reword a few things and remove all the past setup with the new one in a precise manner, allowing you to easily transition!

Please refer to the original post for the updated Chapter 3, as well as to spot any possible mistakes / outdated information I might have missed. It was a lot to sift through!

I hope this new setup makes it a lot easier to use the resource to it’s fullest, and I wish you all the best with your experiences! Have a good one!

3 Likes

I’ve been meaning to try this for a while, seems useful.

1 Like

There seems to be an issue with using more than one part
It seems to be working fine on animations
But when in-game the other part isnt being animated, I followed what you said

What it looks like:
RobloxStudioBeta_gMDFne5Xgs

What it looks like in-game:

1 Like

Do you have RequiresHandle on the Tool? I noticed that only the Right Arm is appearing messed up. Also ensure any C0 or C1 offsets you had during animating is reflected in your Motor Configurations.

I’d also like to note that if RequiresHandle is off, the primary handle of your Tool cannot be named “Handle”, so try giving it a different name and using that instead. I forgot to include that in the original post, so I’ve updated the appropriate section for it.

Also does the output print any errors?

1 Like

No I don’t have the RequiresHandle enabled. The Orange part is called Handle so maybe that’s why the it wasn’t being animated

And to answer your last question: No it didn’t print any errors, just works fine.

Could you check if renaming the Handle to something else fixes the issue? Let me know if it does. I should also make it known that this resource does not nest Motor6Ds on multiple Tool parts, so if you have 2 Tool Parts you want animated, you can’t connect the two together using this resource.

Tool 6D works by attaching Tool Parts to Body Parts. Though if you would like this sort of effect, you could try attaching a Tool Part to the HumanoidRootPart and animating just the Tool Part itself, positioning close to or on the handle of your Tool. This isn’t something I’ve tried, so if it doesn’t work correctly, you might need to fork the resource and make edits to it to add support for this case.

Renaming the Handle actually fixes the issue, i just have to reanimate everything since i changed the name from Handle to Holder

1 Like

I do not fully know the extent of why Roblox treats the name “Handle” weirdly even when the Toggle is off, but I couldn’t find a reasonable fix other than just not using the name. I apologize for that inconvenience and I wish you luck on whatever you’re trying to achieve!

1 Like