Tool activate animation not relative to UpperTorso

I am trying to have this animation relative to the orientation of the upper torso. As you can see in the video, the default Roblox tool hold animation does rotate with the torso (see end of video). However, when I activate the tool and play the loaded binocular animation, the arm no longer rotates with the torso.

I have tried starting with the Roblox tool hold animation when creating the binocular animation, but this did not help. I made sure there are no changes to the Upper or Lower torso in the animation editor (so shouldn’t it be relative??). The look code is done on the viewers client for all other characters.

This is problematic because when looking down, the binoculars clip in to the character’s head. How can I make this animation relative to the torso?

Here is the video:

3 Likes

I have tried the following, still to no avail:

• Replaced the Animator’s script toolnone animation ID (through forking) with the binocular animation, but it still didn’t rotate, which makes me believe the animation is at fault somehow.
  • Upon reuploading roblox’s toolnone animation, the hold animation no longer rotated with character.
    • Maybe Roblox’s animation editor cannot do import correctly?
    • Maybe cannot publish correctly?
    • Maybe it cannot do relative animations?

This left me with more questions than answers. Any help is appreciated.

Strange. I use animations with just arms for characters holding weapons all the time, and I’ve never seen an issue like this ever. I’m currently working on an FPS and I’ve not run into this even right now.

The first thing I’d look at would be the code for how you set the UpperTorso to bend like that, I used to have a similar problem where animations would just get weird because of it - not that it still points straight ahead, but more so that the arms would go a different way for some reason. Turns out I was manipulating C1 instead of C0.

I’m guessing you might be applying an angle to the shoulder as well? I don’t really know, this is the only bit I can think of, because for the binoculars to keep going straight ahead, it would have to be rotated in the exact opposite direction the UpperTorso is being bent. It’s a weird coincidence which I can only think is a bug in the code somewhere.

If your code looks fine, I’m not really sure either. Try looking into animation retargeting and see if disabling it makes any difference, or something to do with this.

1 Like

Thank you so much. Disabling the Retargeting property of workspace fixes this. I did not know this property existed, will definitely look into it further.
Here is the result:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.