Touched Event Not Firing When NetworkOwnership is Server

I’m having issues with some client sided code accurately running .Touched. When I move the character through the block (rootpart is the HumanoidRootPart of the character), I’m not getting a touch. For some reason though, on occassion, it’ll touch. But once it does touch a block, it’s like it’s disabled from touching again for a long period of time (or never again at all).

The following is being run inside of a local script, inside a GUI, inside the PlayerGui.

function onTouched(part)
	print(part.Name) -- This fails to print (thus fails to touch?) 90% of the time
		if part.Name == "Finish" then
			if sector == 1.5 then
				TouchSector()
				sector = 2
				TouchSector()
				addLapEvent:FireServer()
			else
				bt = elapsedTime()
				cc = false
				cclap = false
				wr = false
				wrlap = false
				script.Parent.LiveTimer.LapStart.Value = true
				script.Parent.LiveTimer.LapStartTime.Value = elapsedTime()
			end
			sector = 0
		elseif part.Name == "Check1" and sector == 0 then			
			TouchSector()
			sector = .5
		elseif part.Name == "Check2" and sector == .5 then
			TouchSector()
			sector = 1
			displayLapTime(script.Parent.LiveTimer.Label.Text,5)
		elseif part.Name == "Check3" and sector == 1 then
			TouchSector()
			sector = 1.5
		end		
end

function test(model)
	for _, piece in pairs(model:GetChildren()) do
		if piece:IsA("Part") then
			print(piece.Name) -- This prints out the name of the blocks, fine.
		end
	end
end

test(workspace.Track.Checkpoints) -- These are the blocks that aren't reacting to the onTouched function.

rootPart.Touched:connect(onTouched) 

Notable factors:

• Workspace.Track is a cloned in map from ServerStorage
  • A touched event oriented script run on the server is firing accurately on the problematic bricks. (Just me running a test)
  • CanTouch is true (should be obvious due to the case above)
  • The GUI is just in playergui and brought in through that.
  • The touched event is firing some some parts, just not the parts I actually want it to be firing on.
1 Like

The only thing that I noticed would be the checkpoints. If you cloned them from the ServerStorage then the client wont fire the touch event because it never knew it was cloned. Hope that makes sense.

I thought this too, so I setup some blocks in workspace to eliminate this being an issue (doesn’t make sense for it to be an issue in honesty though…)

I believe the issue may be related to the following:

My player model is inside of a car, the car’s NetworkOwnership is set to the server.
My guess is that this somehow bypasses being considered “a result of physics movement” which is what is needed for Touched to fire.

But I don’t exactly see why this would be the case. If the car is being moved along by the player’s input, regardless of the car’s NetworkOwnership, why does it matter. Or is the fact the server owns the car, make it now such that the movement of the car is considered the server CFraming it?

I’m honestly lost as to what the reasoning behind this issue could be.

Update: I removed the NetworkOwnership script, and yes, it would appear that this is for some reason the case. If anyone has any idea why this is the case, I’d love to know.

2 Likes

You don’t have CanTouch turned off for the car items do you?

The car is not apart of the Touched function.

It’s the HumanoidRootPart touching Checkpoint blocks.
When this script is enabled, the touched does not fire.

local seat = script.Parent
local Players = game:GetService("Players")
local car = script.Parent.Parent 
car:MakeJoints()

seat.Changed:Connect(function(prop)
	while seat.Anchored == true do
		wait()
	end
	if prop == "Occupant" then
		local humanoid = seat.Occupant
		if humanoid then
			local player = game:GetService("Players"):GetPlayerFromCharacter(humanoid.Parent)
			seat:SetNetworkOwner(player)
			car.Name = humanoid.Parent.Name.."Car"
			script.Parent.CarStatus.DriverName.Value = humanoid.Parent.Name
			wait(1)
		end
		seat:SetNetworkOwner(nil)	
	end
end)

When this script ^ is disabled, the touched does fire.

This is just your simple tank chassis car that this is being done with.
4 tires (balls) with surface hinge (as in surface hinges, not constraints) and a vehicle seat.

1 Like

It would appear this update is why I cannot do this. Seems strange, but when setting the car’s ownership to the server, it sets the character inside the car to the server as well, which means that I can’t run touched from the client on the character’s model because the client no longer owns the character.

1 Like