Transparent Parts Increase Render Entities and Ruins Instancing?

PC Info: Windows 11Home 10.0.22621 Build 22621
Date First Experienced: 10/12/23
Date Last Experienced: 10/27/23

Reproduction Steps:

1. Clone a bunch of parts and hit ctrl shift f2
  2. Notice that duplicate parts effectively uses instancing (make sure to deselect the parts)
    (5 render entities for 132 instances)
  3. Then make all the parts invisible.
    (Now render entities match the instances hence instancing is broken?)

Supposedly fixed in 2018 but perhaps it never was? Fully transparent parts are really important for roblox devs as they use them for colliders and stuff.

Expected Behavior: If invisible parts are duplicated then render entities should not go up. (objects should not be inefficiently distributed among entities)
Actual Behavior: Duplicate transparent parts make entities go up.

7 Likes

We’ve filed a ticket into our internal database for this issue, and we will update you when we have further information!

Thanks for the report!

5 Likes

It was reported here (recently) and they are a fix coming

4 Likes

Thank you @Lucatacos2213 for tying the threads together, I was not aware of this thread.

4 Likes

Was wondering when this was going to be fixed. Currently it still is an issue for Special Meshes, Mesh Parts, and Parts.

2 Likes

Hey I’m just curious if this issue got swept under the rug or not.

3 Likes

There hasn’t been any communication likely because of the December holidays, this is also why there hasn’t been a new Roblox version since the 10th of December, whereas there would normally be one every week.

2 Likes

Oh ok. I just hope the get around to fixing. Even though it’s not a “huge” update. It is really important for performance overall. As far as we know this bug has been around since 2018 after staff said it was going to be fixed upon release. That’s some good rug sweeping.

4 Likes

No it was not swept under the rug. What happened is that the original fix I made for it, seemingly broke something else. Then we missed the window before the holiday, which to @Judgy_Oreo’s point, during this period code is locked, so that no new (and potentially unstable) updates made it in over the holidays. There should be a fix for this in the near future as code is unlocked and new releases are pushed out.

(Pending priority of other issues that came up, and the release cadence can fluctuate a little as people get back from holidays)

5 Likes

My apologies. Thank you so much for the update.

1 Like

No no, no apologies, it is great you brought it up to make sure we didn’t forget.

2 Likes

So just an update, we had multiple conflating code changes, it is actively being worked on, but might take a couple weeks more.

3 Likes

Thank you for the update. It’s good to hear it will be fixed soon.

2 Likes

Hey TigerRabbit2, how’s the update going?

2 Likes

Hi EatCake, the fix has been enabled today. Could you please take another look and confirm?

5 Likes

Yessss!!! It’s working. Thank you so much. This means a lot for me because I’m an optimization freak.

2 Likes

Great to hear it was fixed. @coolerthanbatman123 sorry it took so long.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.