TriTerrain - Triangle Terrain

TriTerrain - Triangle Terrain

Latest Update: 30/10/23

Update Log:
  • 30/10/23: Rewrote the Plugin source code for easier additions.
  • 30/10/23: Added ‘Grid’ (See ‘Node’)
  • 30/10/23: Added function to Generate Terrain Plane.
  • 30/10/23: Added function to change Node size & Node Shape.
  • 30/10/23: Added function to change the color & material of multiple triangles.
  • 30/10/23: Added function to select multiple Nodes. (See ‘Grab’)
  • 30/10/23: ‘Material’ tool now allows for MaterialVariants located in :GetService('MaterialService').

TriTerrain is a Plugin that allows users to easily and structurally create Triangle Terrain.

Function:

Simply select the Plugin and select ‘New File’ or ‘Edit File’.
(If a file is being edited please ensure the Terrain is selected)

image > The Plugin functionality is setup in a way that is convenient and simple for all users.

Tool Hotkey Description
Node N Place Nodes; ‘C’ = Toggle Grid; ‘L’ = Lock grid Y axis / lock to existing Node Y axis.
Triangle T Connect Nodes to create Triangle Terrain.
Delete X Delete existing Nodes & Triangles.
Grab G Move Nodes; ‘CTRL’ = Multiselect; ‘C’ = Copy selected Nodes.
Flip F Flip Triangle normals if not connected correctly.
Paint P Change the Color of the Triangle.
Material M Change the Material of the Triangle.
Generate Generate Nodes & Terrain that can then be edited.
Settings Change the Size / Shape of Nodes.
Preview Preview Terrain without any Nodes.
Finish Finish editing Terrain.
IMPORTANT Ensure Terrain is 100% finished before finalising as this cannot be undone.

Showcase:

Price: 100R$
Check out the Plugin here.

TriTerrain will receive regular updates & added functions.

18 Likes

Do you know what you could add
Proportional editing
The reason for me never ever using these plugins is because none ever have proportional editing
Proportional editing is a thing where if i were to move a vertex, the other vertexes
move with it… this is a bit hard to explain ill just show some screenshots

This is done in blender

proportional editing is on

subdivided plane

when i move a single vertex upwards with proportional editing

this is extremely useful when making terrain, since it automatically creates slopes and you have no need of selecting very many vertices at once to make a hill etc etc etc.

there are a few types of proportional editing, although i dont often use any other than the “smooth” one

this would be super very extremely absolutely flabbergastingly useful in my opinion
as of now i do not exactly know how you would go about implementing this but i have a general idea
my idea would go as follows:

you have one setting: radius.
the radius is the max radius that vertexes can be affected by proportional editing (in blender this uses the camera idk why but i would use the vertex position (for multiple vertexes just take the avg position

then when you move a vertex (or multiple) move all the selected vertices and then get all of the vertices (that are not selected) within the radius, and apply translation according to the output of a sine function
the wave height of the sin function would change how smooth it is

this is a bit (very) confusing to explain (i suck at explaining and i use parentheses too often) but there are probably lots of implementations out there to look at

sry for super long reply
:))
PS: i might be completely wrong abt some things so pls tell me

5 Likes

There was another post about your plugin =?

I don’t want to be rude, but I have free alternative, which for now is better than your plugin. At least for me.

Link deleted because of hate. Hope you looked into it, OiiKaee. (At least, like from you allows me to think that you saw it)
Why you may ask?
Because:

1. You allow creation of Vertex, and connect them, while this plugin allows to create triangles from edges. Also, you can move edges easier.
  2. This plugin allows you to import/export .OBJ files, so you can use it with blender.
  3. This plugin uses WidgetGui, and it don’t cover part of screen.
  4. And, most important for me - you can always edit what you did. Even after year.

But, I need mention, that your plugin have some features that this one don’t have:

1. Flipping normals - as I understood from PREVIOUS your post, it should flip side of mesh, so it will look smooth. But there exist edge cases. Try to make smth similar to Sine/cosine function with wide triangles, and you will see it.
  2. You allow to change material variants.
  3. You use HandleAdornments, instead of parts.
4 Likes

well . Firstly, it is not really kind to advertise another plugin in somebody’s plugin showcase . Well the mesh editor by a ytber is more complex for mesh editing which allow you to make triangle terrain . but lets be real , mesh editor is harder to use . this plugin this guy is promoting is specialized in making triangle terrain

2 Likes

The main point of posting that plugin link was to show what I don’t like in TriTerrain, so he can compare his plugin with that one, and understood what I meant. Mesh editor isn’t hard to use, nor TriTerrain, but there’s a lot of ways to improve it.

3 Likes

lets be fr the main point was “mine is free yours is paid” :joy:

That plugin isn’t even mine.

I did in fact have a look at it aswell as the source code.

It’s obvious that Mesh Editor is an advanced Plugin for designing and that’s fine - That Plugin has been out for years and is being compared to a plugin that’s been out two days.

Yes, Mesh Editor offers much more than TriTerrain in terms of usage (more in-depth and individual editing) - However as stated, it’s also complicated to use. Where as you find it easy and a preferred method, myself, (with no biased view) found it complicated and tedious. Far too many steps for simple creations.

Yes, it’s as simple as grab & drag however it’s quite tedious for Y movement without grids being enabled & grabbing the handle isn’t always simple.

There is much to be desired from Mesh Editor and definitely gave me ideas to implement to my own - However TriTerrain is designed for extreme simplicity and will continue to be.

3 Likes

Just a test / prototype for now - But been working on a sculpt too. ^^

3 Likes

I think this examples here might help with this project! It basically demonstrate scaling across all instances using x,y,z including bones or motors

After reviewing I think the main component is (excuse the pun)

local Vcf = v.CFrame
            local _,_,_,C0,C1,C2,c3,c4,c5,c6,c7,c8 = Vcf:components()
            if v:IsA("BasePart") then
                v.Size = Vector3.new(v.Size.X * Scale.X,v.Size.Y * Scale.Y,v.Size.Z * Scale.Z,)
                v.CFrame = CFrame.new(Vector3.new(Vcf.p.X*Scale.X,Vcf.p.Y*Scale.Y,Vcf.p.Z*Scale.Z)) * CFrame.new(0,0,0,C0,C1,C2,c3,c4,c5,c6,c7,c8)
                v.AssemblyLinearVelocity=Vector3.new(0,0,0)
            else
2 Likes

If you add more feature like editing the terrain after finalizing, I will consider buying it

I would be interested if you added a feature to transition the triangle’s material/colors into each other smoothly. Something like a gradient triangle between the two distinct colors.

You copied someone else’s plugin and made profit off of it?

I mean, the original plugin is off sale, but still. Maybe the names are a coincidence?

1 Like

Yeah - The thing is, OiiTaru is me. :thinking::joy:

I see. In that case, why is the other resource offsale?

The original TriTerrain became defunct and inoperable, it was throwing out errors and at the time I didn’t have the flexibility to dedicate time into fixing it.

2 Likes

Im sure it has its uses… but to me it looks really ugly