Trouble with clicking an object with a tool and firing an event, with selection

Hello, I am a sort of beginner scripter. I need help with this program I am making for an axe and tree system in one of my first projects. I want it so the tree only says it has been hit when you are equipped with an axe, and if you hit the tree holding anything else or anything at all then the axe ignores the input. Heres my code below, there is no error messages just there isn’t anything being printed at all.

local ClickDetector = script.Parent
local Plr = game.Players.LocalPlayer
local Axe = Plr.Backpack:FindFirstChild("Axe") or Plr.Character:FindFirstChild("Axe")
local AxeEquipped = false

ClickDetector.MouseClick:Connect(function(Player)
	if AxeEquipped == true then
		print("(hit " .. tostring(script.Parent.Name) .. ")")
	else
		print("No axe found, cancelled hit.")
	end
end)

if Plr.Character:FindFirstChildOfClass("Tool") then
	AxeEquipped = true
else
	AxeEquipped = false
end

I believe a way to check if the axe is being equipped is simply:

Axe.Equipped:Connect(function()

end)

Axe.Unequipped:Connect(function()

end)

And I believe that’ll also solve your problem

1 Like
local Plr = game.Players.LocalPlayer
local Axe = Plr.Backpack:FindFirstChild("Axe") or Plr.Character:FindFirstChild("Axe")

ClickDetector.MouseClick:Connect(function(Plr)
	if AxeEquipped == true then
		print("(hit " .. tostring(script.Parent.Parent.Name) .. ")")
	else
	end
end)

AxeEquipped = true
end)

AxeEquipped = false
end)

The code still isn’t giving any print outputs, I mean there is still no error messages but I’m not sure why this isn’t working.

Ay man, from what I know, if a tool is equipped, you can’t click clickdetectors.

1 Like

Yea, pretty sure that’s the case
Use mouse.MouseClick() instead

1 Like
local Players = game:GetService("Players")
local plr = Players.LocalPlayer
local Mouse = plr:GetMouse()
local Axe = plr.Backpack:FindFirstChild("Axe") or plr.Character:FindFirstChild("Axe")
local Tree = game.Workspace.Tree

Mouse.MouseClick:Connect(function(plr)
	if Axe.Equipped == true then 
		if Mouse.Target == Tree then 
		else
		end
	end
end)

AxeEquipped = true
end)

AxeEquipped = false
end)

No errors, click icon appears when hovering over the tree but no code is printed when I click the tree, help.

Try enabling Tool.ManualActivationOnly and bring back the ClickDetector.MouseClick.

1 Like
local plr = game.Players.LocalPlayer
local Mouse = plr:GetMouse()
local Axe = plr.Backpack:FindFirstChild("Axe") or plr.Character:FindFirstChild("Axe")
local Tree = game.Workspace.Tree
local t = Mouse.Target

Axe.ManualActivationOnly = true

ClickDetector.MouseClick:Connect(function(plr)
	if Axe:Activate() then 
		if t == Tree then
		else
		end
	end
end)

AxeEquipped = true
end)

AxeEquipped = false
end)

Honestly, I thought this would be a lot easier than it has been and I am starting to get really confused with some of these concepts, so I don’t really know how to go from here without just getting someone to do it for me. I tried using the “Tool.ManualActivationOnly” property but I am quite tired and don’t really understand what it truly means, I want to get this done tonight though so I don’t really want to rest on it, could you apply this to my code if possible or give me a helping hand on where exactly to apply it?

Also, its started showing a click detector icon when I don’t have the tool equipped which I don’t want, I think this is cause as previously stated ClickDetectors and tools really don’t like each other?

You could try placing a proximity prompt inside the tree, and when the prompt gets clicked, you can detect if the player is holding an axe and do stuff from there.

And you might want to elaborate more on pretty much everything, like, where is the script located or is the script a Local or Server script. Because from what I could tell, the script you’re using is a regular script that’s located in the tree, but then there’s code like plr:GetMouse() which only work in local scripts and Axe.Equipped:Connect(function() which contradicts the script being inside of the tree, and after rereading like 10 times, the script seems to be a local script that’s located inside the axe, the complete opposite of what I was thinking, but even then, there’s script like ClickDetector.MouseClick:Connect(function(Player) which 1, the click detector is assumed to be on the tree, again, contradicting the where the script is, 2, don’t do local scripts with click detector, if you want it to do something for 1 person to see, use a remote event for that, and 3, there’s no 3, I just like having the 3rd option.

In all honestly, that script is just a skrew up, just delete it and start a new script, and I guess do what I said from above.
Sorry if this sounded rude but if you want proper help, you should give us the proper details.

1 Like

You’re close. Now make sure to use the AxeEquipped value; or just simply check if Axe.Parent == player.Character then (it’s equipped).

1 Like

Yeah I tried proximity prompts which has the following code below, (credit to this post which I found) ProximityPrompt visible only when Tool is eqquiped - #4 by Jackscarlett

local PPS = game:GetService("ProximityPromptService")
local player = Players.LocalPlayer

local function ToolEquipped(prompt)
	local tool = player.Character:FindFirstChildWhichIsA("Axe")
	if tool ~= nil then
		prompt.Enabled = true
	end
end

local function CheckPrompt(prompt)
	if prompt.Name == "ProxPrompt" then
		if player.Character:FindFirstChildWhichIsA("Axe") ~= nil then
                        print("(hit " .. tostring(script.Parent.Parent.Name) .. ")")
			prompt.Enabled = true
		else
			prompt.Enabled = false
			player.Character.ChildAdded:Connect(function()
				ToolEquipped(prompt)
			end)
		end
	end
end

PPS.PromptShown:Connect(CheckPrompt)

However, when I go near the prompt I see it for a very blank second and it instantly disappears, (clearly the code is written accidentally to hide the prompt half way through)

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.