True Surface Reflections in Roblox! (Real-Time Raytracing)

Because you can’t properly reflect parts and models. And also you can achieve much more results with raytracing (such as shadows and lights)

You could try doing a 2 pass gaussian blur kernel, I dont know about how much performance are you going to get though…
I am not sure you can even sample points but I guess the other way would be just tinting a blurred circle texture (I guess thats what you have been talking about) tho you would still need a way to get the color.

Hmm, i mean sure i can make a simple box blur system for the reflections. But im not sure if the blur effect itself is just a bunch of frames that are layered right on top of the frames that are reflecting colored parts and sky or something else.

Its possible and 100% GradientCanvas supported, but im not sure…

Yeah so i decided to screw over the reflection system and went on to test a different system and it went well. I wont reveal what it is yet, but i can say its pretty performant.

Hint 2: Viewportframes are being used here, no pixels.
Hint 3: This time its alot better than the initial project.

I know this reply is old, but Roblox actually has SSR (screen-space reflections) which they use on high graphics levels with terrain water.

https://www.reddit.com/r/roblox/comments/ets277/removed_textures_from_water_to_make_a_nice/

Yeah, I have seen that method before but I dont really like the approach of trying to use water by removing the texture just for reflection. It is too tedious to work with and cant be used in games for everyone else to see.

It’s a bizzare move for me, but i moved back to working on viewportframes, its going kinda well. Especially if your achieving a cubemap like relfections, IF you plan not to implement characters. But if you do, it still works. On every surface, it worked wonderfully, all i need to do is implement characters and ill add in a full blown reflection system. Im thinking of adding variable RefreshRate which maxes out at 30 for the characters and 12 for other parts.

Yeah I know thats the other method