Trying to learn scripting as a Modeler/Builder

Ha! Thanks @DatOneRandomDude (Looking forward to reading your article!), but we will offend the actual programming pillars with talk like that.

1 Like

I personally learned my basics from “sdfgw”'s “Learn to Script” series (I’ll post a link if I can re-find the series, it was a Roblox asset I don’t remember how I found it). It is a bit outdated and uses :Remove() which is deprecated instead of :Destroy(), but it taught me the basics quite well.

Other than that for a year after I started developing on Roblox, I worked on small projects and assets to practice my scripting skills. That helped me quite a lot, along with tutorials on the Wiki (RIP old AllTutorials page, I found that helpful to decide on what tutorial to do next as they indicated the difficulty) and YouTube, from different creators such as @Alvin_Blox. After 2 years of scripting, I’m finally working on a big project :smiley:!

You’re probably thinking, "It’ll take me 2 whole years to get good at it? :frowning: " but that may not be the case, before February 2018 I was on my old PC which, unfortunately, had a very underpowered GPU, other than that it would be able to run Studio just fine. I started learning faster once I had built my current main PC. Another major slow-down for me was that I wasn’t as keen to learn at the start (I was about 11 or 12 at the time), and heavily relied on free-models and I copied off others’ scripts as much as I could during the first few months after first launching Roblox Studio.

So after these first few months, I started thinking of learning how to script on my own. I had seen some of my dad’s programs (He uses VB and C) and wanted to be like him. Anyways doing so I finally got to where I am today. I guess that’s all I have to say :laughing:. Good luck on your journey! Remember to never give up!

TL;DR don’t give up, watch and read tutorials and remember to write the scripts alongside them. Copying and pasting won’t teach you anything. Good luck!

(Sorry if I have made any mistakes in my language, as English is not my primary language.)

6 Likes

This sounds really stupid, but I personally learned through free models. These actually are great for learning. You can modify them and see what happens and they show you how basic scripting works. They also show you ways you shouldn’t do things. A lot of them cause errors or do things that obviously aren’t helpful to you like replicating themselves all over your game.

The downside to this is you start picking up deprecated functions and inefficient coding styles but eventually you learn that these aren’t good to use from other devs or dev resources.

The wiki, like others have said, is one of the most important resources for scripting. It tells you all of the things you can use and what they do. The wiki also gives great examples and tutorials that free models can’t give you.

2 Likes

I’m a bit late but that game’s thumbnail kinda makes me lose hope to think if it’s a good game, seriously? repeat wait until? That’s a bad sign.