UGC Catalog is Now Live!

There has been announcements on the UGC program going pubic & the state of applications actually, and it’s available here.

2 Likes

I personally don’t think that would be helpful. Developers don’t need to have a say in the market, as they are not in charge nor a part of it. UGC is meant to be a free market for the members to design whatever their heart desires. It is entirely up to the players if they would like to buy it. Just because a majority of “developers” don’t like it, that could mean that the regular players who might possibly like it would not be able to get said item.

2 Likes

The announcement is basically irrelevant now as they are on the verge of not doing the application process all together

No clear date when OR IF = not happening

Back to the dark ages of the nominations process

1 Like

Do I need to rank up to do this?

3 Likes

No, there is currently no way to apply for the UGC program as of yet.

4 Likes

I just genuinely can’t believe that the whole ‘silent culture’ thing that the current UGC creators are being held too has held up for this long. You basically have a group of users on Discord in a shadow group calling the shots on who does/doesn’t get into the program, which is just absolutely asinine to have as your de-facto ‘application process’ a year after the programs initial release.

Just take a look at the ‘Show off your UGC creations!’ topic and you’ll see that about 80% of the posts are users that don’t have UGC access. The fact that such a large portion of proven creators are still being left out of this program still is extremely disheartening.

I won’t even get started with the community that lives through ‘#RobloxUGC’ on Twitter. Bottom line is you don’t have to go far to find vast amounts of disparaged UGC creators that have zero chance at getting into the current program. I’ve now seen many accomplished users just give up entirely after realizing that the system is rigged against them, which makes the program look pathetic to anybody on the outside looking in.

23 Likes

UGC has grown so much now a days, it’s crazy to come back and see this post about the UGC catalog going live. From where it started it has grown and now it is one of the most awesome features on the platform.

4 Likes

If you think hard about it.
There’s really not many “fair options”.
If UGC gets more publicized and many get access to this, as some have previously stated, the amount of copied of items from now compared to the aftermath would be very hard for Roblox themselves to handle.This would be a failure on Roblox’s end.
On the other hand, if you select the best of the best to be in the program, it would kinda be kind of unfair for some who aren’t the “greatest” at 3D modeling.
It may sound logical to choose the best of the best, but this kind of demotivates some people who don’t have the ability for that type of work.
Roblox itself is more of an open idea platform which means more creativity and not everything has to be perfect and of highest quality and caliber.
Yes, I do agree it should be more open, but as of now I don’t think Roblox can handle the amount of talented creators and normal creators who want to join.
As of now, there’s probably thousands of people who want to join.Like I have mentioned, I don’t think Roblox can handle all these people. No matter how trustworthy and good of a person they are, Roblox themselves would not know them personally enough to reduce their problems of copied items.
In my eyes as of now, many are jealous of the select few who get chosen.I myself am also jealous of course.If you think of it this way.
-You see models of low poly simple items that you and I can probably make and texture in a few minutes but they’re receiving hundreds thousands of sales, you’d be thinking straight for the profit and saying things such as
“Wow I can do that and even better ,why am I not in the ugc program.”
This all mostly comes down to profit for many.
For some, it’s more of showing the quality of work and getting your name out there.(That is perfectly fine)
But as of now,I believe many here complain mostly due to the jealously of profit.

8 Likes

I totally agree that there needs to be a middle-ground solution for accessories. No matter how good of a moderation system you implement, the shear volume of content will be completely unwieldy. It would be preferable to have a more curated selection. However, you can’t only allow 60 people to be in the program. One idea I had was “ongoing UGC contests”. The number of new UGC items per week is capped, and then people can submit items to the contest. The ones that get the most votes get moved to publication. Now are these contests voted on by the general public or developers? Im not sure.
These items can moderated way easier before publication, so there is a very low chance that blatant copies will end up on the storefront.

5 Likes

YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME O_O I just now got the ugc opening notif and right when I clicked on the app it says its already FULL? that was literally a few minutes COME ON I NEEDED THIS PLEASE WHY???

3 Likes

when will applications be available again and will they be back for a BIT longer?
only if i wasnt away from my computer as applications opened…

3 Likes

I cannot wait to see a new batch of UGC creators the ones we have right now are starting to get boring.

6 Likes

Can UGC creators publish under a group like clothing or such?

6 Likes

Well; whatever system is implemented, it needs to be something that isn’t 100% open. Maybe there should at least be a bit of an application process.
I’m just nervous about a completely open system.
Also, do you think this would lead to “race to the bottom” pricing like what happened to clothing?
Right now UGC items are pretty much averaging R100 in price. Do you think the prices would drop to pennies because of competition? Surely Roblox themselves wouldn’t want this because then their 30% cut would be worthless.

5 Likes

I definitely do not think it should be open to everyone as well as possibly some restrictions and guidelines. There should be an extensive application process and could possibly rotate modelers in batches to prevent over flooding the market. Though this would be pretty difficult to manage on a large scale. This is very interesting for Roblox to even be considering this. There’s no question that items will lose value, even if it is restricted to a group of people; unless there are heavy restrictions to what they can and cant make. Which could be possible. However, eventually there could be overlap due too lack of ideas.
Only time will tell I guess, I’m really curious to see the outcome of the UGC.

4 Likes

I would like to create objects for him UGC but I would like to know if that is because I have to rank up …

3 Likes

maybe later, but probably not now currently as i never have seen someone upload a ugc hat to the catalog. if the ugc catalog ever goes public, i hope its always locked to premium users as there would probably be less people copying.

3 Likes

Roblox might have a different plan than what you’ve stated. Who knows? :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

What a surprise… I’ve been saying this since day 1, UGC is a mistake

#RemoveUGC
#CancelUGC

7 Likes

Wow someone actually agrees with me for once.

4 Likes