UGC Catalog is Now Live!

I don’t think monopolizing is going to be a major issue. Most ROBLOX users won’t remember who made a hat, and going further they’ll really be looking for what looks “cool” to them, or otherwise personalizes their avatar in a way they like. Specific hats will appeal to specific audiences, however I don’t think it’s necessarily possible for someone to monopolize a single audience on ROBLOX unless they make every single possible concept for that audience. The major issue I’m seeing here is that the easiest money-printing concepts are being taken up and the market is being flooded with recolors of a single hat.

This could fairly easily be solved by just promoting any new accessory that comes into the marketplace, or promoting accessories that are trending for a specific time window, that way new developers do have the chance to be promoted when it inevitably opens up.

I feel like this is crux of the entire argument around UGC as a concept. Developers feel betrayed that they outright don’t have the opportunity to be a part of something that a large number of people have been wanting for a long time. Honestly, I feel that it is entirely justifiable to feel betrayed in this way, as ROBLOX hasn’t displayed any way to get into this “testing” period besides that they’ll “eventually” add more people to the progam in waves, and these people will always be from select groups who have either worked with ROBLOX in past or are recommended as trusted individuals.

With that said, I don’t think it is justifiable to take out the frustration on the developers who were accepted into the program. Rather, energy should be put into advocating for ROBLOX adding some sort of application system, or dedicating more resources towards finding a solution for the problems they are facing. I understand it is incredibly difficult to create an algorithm that can check a mesh for inappropriate content while also ensuring it isn’t duplicated across the site, however I do think it is starting to drag on in such a way that developers feel they are being ignored or overlooked, and that is not what ROBLOX should be striving towards.

The point here is that ROBLOX should be more open with us about the development process behind UGC, such as updating developers on how the feature is progressing more frequently and letting us know if there will be an opening for more developers to enter the UGC testing phase.

The system ROBLOX is trying to implement is incredibly difficult, to the point wherein I can’t even think of a method of solving the various issues around checking and verifying meshes. ROBLOX needs an automated method of checking if a mesh already exists on the site in such a way that someone can’t upload a mesh maliciously to block others from uploading while ensuring that uploaded meshes are kid-friendly.

Now, I’m not entirely sure how they could solve that using mesh data on a large scale. They can’t just change the AssetID system without breaking a large number of games, scripts and assets, and they can’t just change data types on a whim. This is going to be a difficult and long process, and I think ROBLOX needs to be more transparent about their progress and potential solutions to these problems so that developers can either contribute their knowledge (we have some incredibly talented coders here) or voice potential security concerns should they arise.

6 Likes

I actually appreciate the idea of making a selected number of developers to be making UGC accessories here in Roblox because some accessories people want in the site are sometimes being made, which I can prove because I always wanted this accessory in roblox.

Some developers who are making accessories in the UGC Catalog are making more decent accessories for users’ avatars which makes people really want to play roblox.
These developers also meet the expectation of the community sometimes when their favorite accessories become available in roblox.

8 Likes

That was a hypothetical. Exporting off-site is a major component of development. You can’t simply stop this without hindering growth on the platform.

3 Likes

I never said that Roblox meshes shouldn’t be exported off-site either.

Games that use off-sale meshes don’t have to have their mesh changed, unless the developer edited the mesh.

I agree with that. The one thing I dislike about Roblox is that they privilege well-known users over others, by a lot. This makes many systems of Roblox more prone to bias, such as it’s moderation system and the video star program. Roblox isn’t completely opaque about their progress and system. However, they are making it like one-way glass, where only certain users get to see future plans and features while the rest of us are stuck in front of the mirror side. This is one of the biggest problems that I think Roblox needs to solve.

(Of course, there are many features about Roblox that I like, such as the Devforum and Rstudio.)

1 Like

When could I join? I can use Blender and making own hats would be cool.

2 Likes

When it’s released to the public.

5 Likes

Great now I’m never going to be in the UGC program I have sip many nice models I’d love to wear waiting but will all be in the trash cause I have no idea how to be in the program and everyone that’s in it have 10 bloxy awards

im soooo mad I really wish I was in it

what if I make it to the cheese LOL

1 Like

Is there a polygon limit or texture size limit? If so, please provide me with the numbers thanks!

1 Like

The polygon/triangle limit is 10,000. Attempting to upload a mesh that is bigger than that limit will give you an error.

2 Likes

I see, thanks for the reply. (30 char limit)

2 Likes

The current constraints for UGC items that can be uploaded are the following:

4000 triangles
1200 vertices
256x256px for textures

12 Likes

Oh alright, thanks for the clarification.

2 Likes

I generally dislike the idea of making any Roblox feature a privilege. Such examples are the UGC Catalog, the Video star program and certain Roblox events. Roblox has been giving out bans for discriminatory language and content, but aren’t they kind of doing it themselves? I think Roblox needs to create features that any user can use without having to be cherry picked by Roblox. Roblox needs to be more balanced among all users, not just a select few. Currently, people in the UGC catalog are being treated as first-class citizens, while the rest of us developers are being treated as second-class.

4 Likes

Think of it this way;

You create a new product that you hope to roll out to everyone, but you need to iron out the details and make sure it works. So you gather a handful of people who you know you can trust and you have worked with in the past, and have the qualifications to accurately use the product and give proper feedback.

That is what ROBLOX is doing. They chose Developers that they knew they could trust, who had the qualifications and the know-how to use the UGC and give proper feedback on what should be improved. It is a common business practice held all over the world.

3 Likes

It has been like this for around eight months, and right now it doesn’t look like they are testing. It looks like a whole cherry-picking job. It seems like they are picking the top and most well-known developers, to create items and not allowing anyone else to do it. This takes away the ‘U’ in “UGC”.

They are giving video star creators the ability to create UGC. Many of the video star creators are already being treated like first-class citizens compared to the rest of us users and many of them blatantly violate the terms of service with impunity. If any other user were to violate the terms like that, they would most likely get their account banned.

Roblox is making features exclusive to people they favor instead of making them open to everyone. And since it’s been around eight months already, they should be done with testing. There’s a good chance that Roblox has already ignored this feature but kept it closed to a select few users.

2 Likes

From what i understand about how companies function, ROBLOX only has a set amount of people in the QA department for UGH. Cherry-Picking is a bit needed as of right now, unless you want to wait months for a hat to be approved. This was the problem with the clothing industry, a huge chunk of devs were able to create stuff. Do i even need to describe what happened? Just be patient, a delayed feature can be good but a rushed one will always be bad.

5 Likes

Says who, and by what claim? Testing is not something that’s so neatly done, it takes longer than a few months. It could take up to the end of 2020 before ROBLOX are satisfied and think the UGC is ready to be released for public use.

6 Likes

Not to mention that they plan on releasing it by the end of the year (which would be around a year of testing in total)

5 Likes

A year of testing is fair. Ive seen games in beta for longer periods. They can take as long as they need imo, id rather have all the bugs worked out than have my inbox spammed with refunds because they deemed something against TOS.

5 Likes

They could just look if they have any dev experience on their profile…

1 Like