UGC Catalog is Now Live!

I decided to take it a step further. I wanted to know how much a UGC dev was making in total from their content. For this example I used maplestick who is the guy who made the shadowed head. I added up the revenue he earned from all of his UGC. He made a grand total of R$321,376,458, which is $1,124,817.60. I don’t know how much of his robux he devex’s, but if he cashed in ALL of the robux he made from UGC, he’d have over 1.1 MILLION dollars. He does have some original, well made creations, but a lot of his stuff is retextures and incredibly simple. Like his bubblegum ones. They are spheres. That’s it. A colored sphere.

8 Likes

This is another example of UGC creators copying limiteds:
image “Classicx89’s Stylin’ Intern Shades”
image “Stylish Tinted Shades”
The only difference is the colour and the UGC copy being slightly smoother. It’s obvious that the creator was well aware of it being almost exactly the same as the original, I don’t understand how stuff like this is allowed.

12 Likes

This is probably the first case of a UGC item that even reasonably looks like an existing item. The items are… a bit too similar, even while being sunglasses.

An alternative explanation is that the UGC creator was genuinely unaware of the limited and based their model off a real pair of glasses.

11 Likes

You see this is why they only selected certain people for the program. They want people they trust. Even with people they trust there are still bad apples. So with people they don’t trust they fear would be worse.

4 Likes

That’s exactly the case, I got a pair of black glasses I love and modelled them after my own! It wasn’t until I put my glasses on sale that I got messages of them being a knock-off of some limited glasses from 2009. The intent was never to copy limited items and I’ve made a ton of other UGC items prior to the shades. The ones on sale were just one variant out of a set I had made for em.

14 Likes

Apologies, as a trader it gets annoying to see all these “knock-off” limiteds being made and the UGC creators that make them (in most cases) seem to do it on purpose in order to make more money.

5 Likes

I generally haven’t made much money from UGC, I tend to fill in a niche market and do casual stuff from time to time for relatively cheap prices so it they can be affordable for most people. On the topic of the shades I can definitely see the similarities and why people are making a big deal of it, just want it to be known that my intention was never to make a quick profit off existing ROBLOX items (:

5 Likes

@EmperorDitto @ix_EcIipse as a trader myself, I don’t see the problem with “KnOcK oFfS”. They may be inspired by them. I’m interested to hear your opinion on the paper bag limited knock offs or the Roblox made non-limited limiteds. In the end, limited items have no value since you can’t devex them so I’d suggest you guys calmed down for a bit with the value you guys give them. They’re not actually worth that much.

5 Likes

10 Likes

This is a great idea!

We now see so much items in different colors. Takes way to much space in the catalog.

8 Likes

i agree the catalog is very crowded, but i dont see any other way or solution to that.

5 Likes

It is not that hard, Masonf57 had a great idea.
See below:

" I would like the UGC catalog to have a slight rework.
As the catalog grows with more hats, some of the UGC items/accessories are retextures in different colors for instance. It takes up a lot of space in the catalog, and it would be best to minimize it with some type of color scheme when you try to purchase that specific UGC item.

How it would work
When a person is looking for something to purchase, the person goes to the UGC original item. The person would then see a color scheme, or just different colors of retextures when that hat is selected. They would click on that color, and then purchase it.
This would help the catalog, and would help more users find more unique items and such."

6 Likes

That would be a splendid idea, but i dont think roblox would ever implement this feature unfortunately.

2 Likes

Not being rude, but you cannot call yourself a trader, if you only hoard over 200 small limiteds worth 300-400 robux each.
Also roblox copies are perfectly fine as they created the original mesh, and then decided if it should become limited.
How is it fair to limited owners, if a UGC creator makes a practical copy of the existing item.

2 Likes

Same here, but I haven’t seen many items published by Star Creators that state themselves as the mesh/texture creator, or have any contribution to the item creation besides uploading.

4 Likes

Everyone finds joy in trading with whatever limiteds they like. If they trade, they are traders. But back to the topic.

Roblox themselves didn’t make those meshes. They hired contractors for them and now Roblox is screwing over the very same contractors that weren’t invited to the UGC program in the first place. To be honest, you can pretty much call the entirety of the catalog a rip off of items you find all around you and you’re not getting mad over that and maybe the UGC creators did base their items on IRL objects (just like @Zealocity said he did)… The only ones who have a problem with the UGC program are the same people who (like I said earlier) are giving value to items you can’t legally change into actual profit. You need to calm down.

6 Likes

How is that crown you posted a copy of the domino crown? Are crowns copyrighted by roblox? No. Anyone can make a crown. Same with those fedoras. Like it or not, the concept of the fedora is not copyright protected. Anyone can make a fedora. They made the mesh themselves. It’s their work. If you don’t like it well then that’s just too bad because those people spent their time making the hats and they’re most likely going to stay.

Also to add on to it. How are those “Sparkle Time Fedora copies” copies when I don’t see sparkles.

Another thing. Go to Amazon, Ebay, or whatever online shopping you prefer. Look up “White Top Hat”, or “Black Shirt”, “Red Shirt”, or any color shirt. Tell me how many of them look the same, and then go ask amazon why they don’t take down “copies.” Because by your standards. They’re copies.

5 Likes

Also im assuming you think this is a 100% original concept and not similar at all

Totally doesn’t look like the roblox version from 2007 or anything.

14 Likes

You’re clearly grasping for straws here. Limited items like the ones you are trying to compare are not directly being effected by the UGC system. Users that know and love these classic items are well aware of the differences between the two.

There is a clear difference between the two items you just posted, one that any user could see as soon as they join the game. You would have to be delusional to say that one is a knockoff of the other when there have literately been hundreds of Top Hats that have been published by the ROBLOX account.

8 Likes

Yeah because roblox totally invented the tophat buddy.

Also no, they dont.

First of all, the one on the top is an original mesh, which I doubt has the same wireframe structure as the bottom one. Second, the top one does not have a black rim around it.
Third, the top one has the line sticking out as part of the mesh. the bottom one has the black line painted on via texture.

6 Likes