UGC Catalog is Now Live!

" Q: Will Groups be able to upload to the UGC catalog?
A: Long term, we want to allow Groups to upload to the UGC catalog. Group clothing stores are a very popular way to sell UGC Shirts and Pants and we want to enable this for other UGC asset types too. "

3 Likes

They could make it so that it detects any script activity that involves doing stuff outside of the accessory or adding in a new script

1 Like

What are the restrictions on items based or inspired from works outside of Roblox? For example, this model is from a source that isn’t child-friendly, however on its own, is normal.
gb

23 Likes

I’m going to have to step in to also declare that there was nothing wrong with the Classic Fedora & Bowler re-releases.

For one, the meshes are entirely original and they’re just going off the same idea. It’d be wrong if the mesh was taken and just simply re-uploaded. A fedora and a bowler hat isn’t something exclusive to those Roblox items anyways, and I don’t mind seeing a lot more remastered accessories that are in serious need of updating.

The line is crossed when there are original ideas, or even a following of series of hats that might be copied off. ((Tophat series, Sparkle Time Fedora, Dominus)) etc. If anything, I hope UGC Creators will make their OWN series to work off and not existing ones.

12 Likes

I believe their initial long term goal is to eventually push this out to the public, requiring BC (soon to be Premium) to publish, as well as a listing fee, not unlike that of audios. It’s going to be a harder time to also have bots rip items from the catalog, unlike shirts and pants where it’s a matter of inspect element. I’ve heard numbers like Spring 2020 being their projection for release, but I can’t the confirm legitimacy that estimation. I would love it if they kept it application based in the future, as this is probably the best way to handle anti botting, anti copying, and hold back real low quality models.

4 Likes

Are retextures allowed? Can someone change the color of my Dominus Rex slightly to a lighter purple and call it a new item?

1 Like

Not only is the moderation system for hats still in discussion, but they announced a complete moderation overhaul at RDC. We’ll just have to wait and see what consensus Roblox comes. My prediction is that retextures of items in Roblox’s current catalog are not going to be allowed.

3 Likes

Looking at the bigger picture and ignoring the specifics of the similarity between downtown denizen and other fedoras, I think this instance is a realization of the fact that most people derive the value of a catalog item from the functional look and not its specific brand or Roblox authenticity. In the end, Roblox will have to take a hit on its sales with the trade off of potentially increased profits through taxes from an ideally autonomous UGC catalog system.

This doesn’t acknowledge user to user competition however and how everyone will race to the bottom price floor if left to a sufficiently open subset of users. I agree with your main point and there will have to be a balance kept in place to keep this sustainable.

9 Likes

It’s most certainly not allowed. It falls under violating copyrighted material. It effects the true value of the original item and thus does not fall under any understanding of fair use.

The chances are is that ROBLOX will add some sort of measures to prevent users from selling items that contain models or textures that aren’t uploaded by the UGC seller.

3 Likes

yeah honestly no fedoras/dominuses/etc should be allowed lol we have enough in the normal catalog, the purpose of this should be for new and original creations

14 Likes

The purpose of UGC is to allow the enormous amount of 3D modelers and texture artists to sell items in the catalog expanding the choices that users have when it comes to dressing their avatar.

That being said, limiting what items can and cannot be made because there are too many is a bad idea. It’s like saying prison games can no longer be made because there are too many of them on Roblox. The free market will create demand for the items they want to purchase, and 3D modelers and texture artists will supply items to meet that demand.

4 Likes

I completely agree with you! However, It wouldn’t be copyrighted material, because the models would be redistributed on their site. But that doesn’t mean its not a problem. I’m sure the end solution will be pretty smooth based on how careful and slow they’re pushing this out, so that we don’t have another shirts/pants catalog.

2 Likes

there are infinite different ways to make a prison game. how many different ways can the same hat be recolored? not a fair comparison imo, and i don’t see the need for many more. i would much rather prefer seeing original creations and new fashion trends

10 Likes

I don’t think any Trade related hats should be allowed for retextures but non tradable within a reasonable limit should be fine.

5 Likes

I am fully on-board with this update, however, I disagree with the “no re-texturing” limitation. Re-texturing is a fun and easy way to create something new. If you don’t like an item for it’s texture, you can grab it, change it up, and create something new. Although, I do not support re-texturing expensive items like the Dominus, Valkyrie Helm, Domino Crown, Sparkle Time Fedora, etc, because I fully understand that allowing this will crush the limited economy. I think certain items should be marked as “re-texturable” or “UGC eligible” very clearly on the roblox website:

If an item has this notice and its eligible for UGC, users can safely take the mesh and the texture, and upload it, as long as they make something noticably different.

If an item does have this notice but the item is NOT eligible for UGC, users who do upload the mesh and texture with receive moderation action against their account, and for repeat offenders, their ability to upload UGC.

I also think other users should be able to upload UGC and mark it as UGC eligible or not.

Re-texuring opens up a lot of creative freedom when making UGC. There are tons of hats and items on twitter that sample Roblox creations and look absolutely awesome! If implemented right, tons of talented creators in the field of graphic design can emerge into the scene right away!

Some of my favorites:

& A LOT more!

Thanks for reading :heart:

34 Likes

also, adding onto the UGC idea, it would be wonderful if color masking was also pushed with this update, allowing people to implement Color Masks (black to white) (which if a color customizer was ever implemented) would allow users to modify the color choices for an asset in case it is exactly what they wanted but the wrong color. This would also prevent people from uploading ‘retextures’ for different colors and allow for better customization options. This is like triple nice because you could just use the mesh’s or part’s colors and if a mask is applied, mask the parts colors instead of adding a separate property. Only problem is in order to use multiple colors you would need multiple meshes to color

9 Likes

As long as a design isn’t fully copied, it would be fine. It is fine to go by designing something inspired moderately, however, it is best you don’t go to far with it.

5 Likes

The price of the Classic dropping is a good thing. To show why, let me do some math for you.

The best price for the Classic Fedora at the time of writing is 54,000. Assuming you purchased that much Robux, it would cost you $499.95. If you had OBC, which gives you R$70 a day, you would have to wait 772 days (or, if you rather, 2 years, 1 month, and 12 days) I was mistaken, it’s R$60 a day; that brings the calculations to 900 days, or 2 years, 5 months, and 18 days. before you had the chance to buy this hat, assuming you didn’t spend anything and had no source of income beyond the daily stipend. Both of those are, obviously, absurd. Nobody should have to spend $500 or wait two years to buy a hat.

It’s easy to lose perspective as a developer of how hyperinflated some limited items are. Robux is worth far less to us than most of the millions of people on Roblox.

The same argument can be applied to several year old unobtainable items. It might make you or other people feel special to have a bowler that nobody else can get, but for people who joined the site years later, it doesn’t feel good to have when you joined be a gatekeeper.

While there’s an argument to be made about the worry of copying something that’s iconic or actually valuable or unique, let’s wait until it happens before we get into that argument. Nobody has uploaded a dominus, domino crown, or valkyrie helmet. Nor have they tried to ‘remaster’ an old offsale item. A slippery slope only happens when the slope is stepped onto.

EDIT: Noticed I misremembered the stipend for OBC. It’s actually R$60 a day. Corrected it above.

26 Likes

The classic fedora is all of those things, there isn’t (wasn’t) another matte gray fedora on Roblox.

If the problem with collectible items is that they are “expensive” for most people, those people shouldn’t be getting into collectible items in the first place. That’s the entire point of collectible items having a limited stock and being unique… Limited edition cosmetic items are everywhere on nearly every game with cosmetic items, and when people are allowed to make cheaper versions with an unlimited stock and near identical appearance all of that goes out the window.

Everyone is so fixated on the classic fedora and to a lesser degree the bowler, and not the overall precedent this sets. If he can make a matte gray fedora despite one already existing, so can someone else, and for half the price (or a tenth, if they want to go all the way to the price floor). How many re-imaginations of unoriginal basic designs are we going to have before it’s too many? Who decides how many that is?

Imo people should be able to submit the unoriginal, unprotectable designs to Roblox for them to publish and remove all of this controversy around whether or not an item copies another item.

I have so much more to say, but I’d rather not write a novel here.

28 Likes

These two things feel mutually incompatible, no? If something is the only hat that fits a simple description like that, it shouldn’t be an unobtainable to people. It feels like the height of arrogance to suggest that people shouldn’t be able to make their avatars wear a matte gray fedora because they don’t have money to burn.

There’s a very clear and easy to identify distinction between a limited edition cosmetic item like a dominus and a hat that’s defining characteristic is being matte gray fedora. Once again, arguing about the precedent this sets is pointless because no precedent has been set. If and when something that’s less generic but bears similarities to an existing item has been uploaded, we can talk.

10 Likes