UIStroke - Studio Beta (UPDATE: re-enabled)

Absolutely fantastic update! I was concerned about the issue with billboards, but apparently someone pointed that out already. It’d be cool if the UIStroke could be tweaked to create a text glow effect.

3 Likes

That is honestly EPIC. If i could i would go right back into studio so i could add this to my games

1 Like

I am currently in the process of designing a multi-selection for my RTS I think this new addition is perfect for it!

Thanks for the brilliant update.

I needed this for the UI work I’m doing at the moment, thanks!

Can we have the ability to set the thickness to a negative value to have the outline be on the inside rather than the outside?

1 Like

It’s about time something like this is added. No more creating your own text borders or duplicating frames to create an outline for a UI corner!

I don’t have the UIStroke enabled in the Beta Feature tab in Studio however still get bugged out outlines. It appears to happen somtimes when I open a game, not always and re-opening fixes it.

That is such an amazing feature! I remember when if you needed to do something like this you’d need to upload a decal to the Roblox website (of course, there was BorderSizePixel and BorderColor3 but it wasn’t as customizable as UIStroke). Now we won’t even need to do that!

Are you able to apply now a stroke to transparent frames and UICorners?

Pretty sure you can now but im not 100 percent

Seems to be reported already, but I’m having the issue as well. The TextStroke (no UIStroke class) gets larger the more I zoom out. Weirdly it does not happen to all my TextLabel with TextStroke, only the BillboardGuis descendant of workspace (I think, no extensive testing has been done).

2 Likes

Am glad that roblox is giving more love to their UI designers :slight_smile:
Thanks for the beautiful updates!

Good update! Would like to see different border patterns instead of just solid, eg dashed borders with custom intervals

Finally! I’ve been doing so many workarounds for this effect!

2 Likes

They did mention they will do it as a separate feature here

1 Like

Will this let us achieve an effect anywhere near something like RichText Highlighting? I’m not really a UI Designer and am more focused on the markup tag part of this update. This feature sounds great but isn’t really what I need for the project I’m working on if it can’t. While I could implement it into what I’m working on it wouldn’t achieve the same effect.

Oh my god I just added this to my game and published it and found out that it’s not live yet when I joined the game… Anyways, great update!

Roblox betas do not work in live games. Usually they take a month or two to fully release (that is how I have seen it at least).

3 Likes

We have noticed that some developers are experiencing issues with the beta, even if they have opted out of it. Because of this, we will be turning the beta feature off for the time being.

• Selection boxes don’t render after getting a certain distance away.
  • Issues with UICorner not working in some situations.

We got a lot of great feedback and will take this into account as we approach full release of this feature.

38 Likes

I am not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but this feature seems to break existing outline behavior with semi-transparent GUI objects.

Beta off, expected behavior:

Beta on, outline is poof:

Using UIStroke with semi-transparent GUI objects also does not seem to work. It creates the same issue as enabling the beta.

Am I using this feature improperly?

4 Likes