UIStroke - Studio Beta (UPDATE: re-enabled)

Thanks for the repro file, I’m looking into this now.

2 Likes

When should we be expecting a proper scale system? I’m using UIStrokes for my proximity prompts style and it looks weird when it puffs up from a far distance

https://gyazo.com/0c015507dad09d18a8d8d0bcf118e8cc

9 Likes

Any update on when this will go live for in-game experiences?

This feature should be build into the properties of the element, rather than a constraint.

I think it wont cause lag on low end devices as roblox is much cpu based and its client based too.
I think your reffering the html background blur css which causes lag.Even if you have a bad cpu your ram and ect will cope up with it.There will be no janky lag etc when this uiblur is implmented.

I don’t get why people keep saying Roblox runs on the CPU, that’s blatantly wrong. The CPU only deals with computation and logic, not rendering and graphical calculations, that’s what the GPU is for.

Anything you see on the screen, whether it’s on a phone or desktop, or console, goes through the GPU and/or is generated on the GPU. Things like blurring in real-time would most likely be done through shaders, which run on the GPU, as that’s the most efficient and practical way to do it for moving images.

Also, how does it being client-based have any correlation to the point you were trying to make?

4 Likes

UIBlur and UIMask objects would be cool to have.

The UIMask object would allow you to attach a grayscale “stencil” and the object it’s parented to would have the transparency of each pixel multiplied by said grayscale stencil.

(This would work similarly to Photoshop’s layer masks.)

The benefit of this over using shapes made in other software such as Photoshop is that it’d be possible to update the mask instead of exporting different images for each use case. A great example of this would be player thumbnails cut in the desired shape during run-time using a mask, something you currently can’t do other than placing a frame over the image, which has its own limitations.

Engines like Unity and Unreal already support this, and it makes designing more complex UIs a lot easier.

7 Likes

BUG
Every time I try to change the thickness of it with a frame and maybe other objects as well studio completely crashes

Do you know when this could be released? I love making ui designs with ui stroke and I can’t wait for this to drop.

2 Likes

I found a bug while working with UIStroke. When you have objects with UIStroke applied to them as descendants of a UIPageLayout, they will create this weird shade artifact when switching pages. The artifact only appears when you’ve got the UIStroke set to Miter or Border+Rounded.

Repro file:
uistroke repro.rbxl (37.9 KB)

1 Like

Thanks for the repro. This already got reported earlier in the thread and I’ve created a fix which should roll out in the next Studio update.

3 Likes

Do you have an prediction on how soon you’re planning to release this to non-studio game sessions?

1 Like

Unfortunately, it will probably be several weeks at the least. It’s currently being blocked by a crash on iOS.

7 Likes

@Tiffblocks, any updates on the release date?

16 Likes

It also seems to crash on MacOS.

Strange problem that I found while using it.

1 Like

I feverishly await an update with good news, I wanna show off my cool UIStroke/UICorner based outline visualizer to people without needing to give them studio access… :frowning:
Honestly though, this is such an anticipated release but there’s been no radio contact since what feels like epoch 1970.

6 Likes

This is one of the only things holding me back right now. Eagerly waiting for this to go live :slight_smile:

15 Likes

still desperately waiting for this to be released

6 Likes

Has there been any recent news on when this feature will be released to use in games. Rather then just having it in studio.

2 Likes