Unable to rename duplicated object without re-selecting

I came across an annoying bug today which prevents you from renaming a recently duplicated object in the explorer menu.

Here are steps to reproduce:

1. Find an object. I’ll be using the selected RemoteFunction.

2. Right-Click the selected object

3. Click Duplicate and it should automatically select the newly duplicated RemoteFunction

4. Right-Click the duplicated instance and you can see that you are unable to click the rename button

Beta Features: Assistant Preview, Video Uploads, Updated Roblox Controls, UIListLayout Flex, Texture Gen, Terrain Editor, Simulation Pause, Path2D Instance, Notched Screen, New Studio Camera Controls, New Base Materials, New Audio API, Multilayer Wrap Fix, Material Picker, Material Gen, Live Animation Creator, Grass Length Customization, EditableImage & Mesh

Roblox Studio Version: 0.624.0.6240521
Windows

Expected behavior

I expect the ‘Rename’ button to be clickable.

7 Likes

Thanks for the report! I filed a ticket in our internal database and we’ll follow up when we have an update for you.

Same for when you create a new model group.
You can’t rename it, you have to select something else than re-select the group model to change the name.

I created a plugin years ago for this exact reason: https://create.roblox.com/store/asset/7280790624/Reliable-Renaming

I believe this issue occurs when selecting certain GUI objects as well, it will focus on the viewport and pressing F2 has no action. For context, F2 only works when the explorer window has focus.

Hope it gets fixed soon! Even re selecting doesn’t help me anymore now…

The fix for this should be live now, thanks for reporting it!

1 Like