Unexpected latency issues due to massive incoming data packets

Reproduction Steps
Play this place on a live server: https://www.roblox.com/games/2039079715/Heroes-2-Conversion

You will quickly encounter massive spikes of latency. On the network menu accessed by Shift+F5, the numbers for incoming data seem unusually high. Picture attached:

RobloxPlayerBeta_tusEuFQNyb

The game’s basically unplayable in this state.

Expected Behavior
There shouldn’t be massive latency? The game worked just fine less than a week ago according to witness testimony. However, even when reverted to those versions of the game that are confirmed to have, at one point, worked fine, the same issue still occurs. This indicates that something about the engine changed and is causing the problem.

Actual Behavior
Players have frequent massive ping spikes and the incoming data numbers seem unusually high.

Workaround
No. Even after having reverted to a month-old version, which definitely worked fine at one point, there are still massive connectivity issues. I’m confident something changed in the engine to cause these issues, but after exhausting my options of determining the frequency and content of the RemoteEvents and RemoteFunctions that I’m using, I am at a loss as to what is happening.

This is potentially months of work lost into the grinder of forced engine updates.

Issue Area: Engine
Issue Type: Connectivity
Impact: High
Frequency: Constantly
Date First Experienced: 2021-06-04 20:06:00 (-04:00)
Date Last Experienced: 2021-06-05 00:06:00 (-04:00)

5 Likes

It’s possible (correct me if I am wrong here) but this latency is probably coming from text filter API, which has had terrible latency the last few weeks.

Please correct me if I misunderstood this post though!

1 Like

No, it’s not just people’s chat messages. It’s like the entire link between the server and the clients is clogged, but with what is unclear.

1 Like

Hi @Davidii

Are you still experiencing high latency issue? We are having some trouble reproducing the issue.
I wanted to clarify if there are any specific steps we could take to reproduce the high latency situation.
Do I need to be in a dungeon in order to experience the high latency condition?

Thanks!

Hi @Davidii ! Does this issue occur for you anymore?; or can we close the topic… Thank you!

Not sure if OP still has this issue, however It still happens. Only seems to happen on old servers with many players (15+ most of the cases). Tested on multiple games