Uniform server version number in configure place

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to have a version number in your description, as many times, the numbers being typed will cause the filter to trigger and ruin your entire description’s line spacing.

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve the developer’s experience by improving intense fan’s experience with finding the most recent server of the game = everybody happy

The reason to have a version number is for places which are being actively updated, the players who care can check the version number in the description / game detail page and see if it matches with the server number in the place. For example, I put my version number in-game at the very bottom left so it’s out of the way for a majority of players, but still viewable for those who care.

To be clear, this suggestion is to have a widget added on a games detail page to display a version number (developer set), either above or below the description for those games whose creator wanted it

12 Likes

I do think a visible server version would be a short-term improvement for your most dedicated players, but it ultimately doesn’t make much sense to rely on players checking two strings against each other to ensure they are playing on the latest version of your game.

Ideally, matchmaking should never put players in outdated servers, and there should be an easy-to-access option for developers to ‘refresh all servers’ where servers are essentially shut down and all players reconnect to a new instance of the game.

The closest to achieving that right now is to use Merely’s Soft Shutdown Script

Or, if you want to get creative, you can embed the version number in your thumbnail. Certainly if your updates are meaningful enough that players are actively looking to play in the latest servers, those updates can be accompanied by a thumbnail including new content, much like Jailbreak has been doing for all their updates. That will probably expose the number to more players than if it were an arbitrary string buried away underneath the description.

4 Likes