Union Corruption

Before we start, I have to point out I am unable to post in the bug reports section.

For a while now I’ve noticed a lot of my unions going corrupt at random intervals, this issue is incredibly difficult to counter due to it happening randomly AND unexpectedly, right now the only true fix I know is to frequently upload the model to Roblox in order to retrieve lost unions. This seems to be an issue only I’ve experienced recently, as none of my friends haven’t had this issue and the only articles I can find about corruption date back to 2019 and before, and many solutions are either outdated or don’t work for me.

This seems to happen with complex unions such as turret shells (Often highly angular and having lots of negates), unions that involve cylinders such as wheels, and even the basic unions made out of an array of parts, but these basic unions must still consist of a high number of parts. It’s incredibly problematic and really demotivates me. Often these corruptions occur while I’m still modifying the union, meaning exporting then reimporting as mesh often isn’t a solution I can use. Also, in the final stages of production, I often union parts of the model together in order to save parts.

I only use 4 plugins, which is a modified model reflect which works for unions, a simple part-to-terrain plugin, Stravant Gapfill and a model resize plugin. I don’t know if any these are related to the issue at hand though but I’d like to point them out.

Here are pictures of unions susceptible to going corrupt:

As I mentioned, often highly complex unions as the one pictured and mentioned can go corrupt, but highly simple ones such as ones consisting of a handful of parts seem to be fine. I’d also like to mention I am learning 3D Modelling, but to get to the point where I am on par with my ROBLOX Studio skill will take a long time, around a year or two at minimum.

As I said, I am unable to post a bug report, so instead, I posted this in the only other place where this it makes sense.

2 Likes

Please define ‘Corrupt.’ Do the Unions disappear? Do their polygons malform? I’ve experienced issues in the past with high poly unions degrading in poly quality significantly at some sort of threshold, is this what you’re experiencing?

1 Like

I export the unions and them import them back into a mesh. It prevents this from happening. I believe this only happens when you publish a place. Try saving the whole place to a file and opening it from the file.

1 Like

Corrupt unions are unions that are invisible and all data regarding them is gone, they are nothing other than that.

1 Like

If I create a union I like to copy and paste it into a separate place prior to saving.

I’ve heard of a good few developers who’ve stopped using unions altogether because of this issue and it’s very unfortunate. If this hasn’t already been filed as a bug report I’d be surprised.

1 Like

Upload the unions to blender then reupload it back to studio, it will make it a mesh instead of a union.

1 Like

Here is a post on how to recover Corrupted Unions. Hope this helped ya out.

1 Like

This happens fairly often in roblox, the best way to avoid it is to just ensure that you regularly save your work and shutdown studio correctly

1 Like

One fox to stop your unions from being corrupted is to convert them to a mesh by exporting and re-importing. This is a haste and doesn’t directly solve the problem, but it should stop it.

1 Like

Most unions go corrupt while I am still working on them, so export then reimport often isn’t a solution I can use.

1 Like

The place I work on my creations isn’t published to ROBLOX.

1 Like

That might be the problem. Unpublished places don’t save the files in them as well as published ones do.

1 Like

A bug report has been posted about this error in ROBLOX’s CSG system.

That is, if you mean they are going invisible.

1 Like

I’ve had this issue even on published places, I’ve heard Unions rely on internet to function properly, and my connection is all wonky right now, so I’m thinking that’s the issue. I probably won’t be able to get it fixed for a while if that is.

1 Like

Ok found a potential culprit, a lot of these unions in these parts come from CSGV1, and usually, unions that consisted of these CSGV1 unions caused corruption. I’ve created a high number of unions made entirely of CSGV2 unions and none of them have gone corrupt YET.

Edit: ok so this was the cause. This is odd because before CSGV1 never had any compatibility issues for me.

1 Like