Upcoming Animator/WorldModel Behavior Change

The impact is moreso engineering efficiency. Every option like that which we add is an additional option that Roblox engineers have to work around and test against when adding new features. This builds up exponentially too, not linearly: If you have three options, that’s not just three things to test, that’s eight combinations of options to test against. This can seriously slow down our ability to add new features.

Backwards compatibility is really valuable to Roblox, but we have to draw the line somewhere. Things like this which are likely to only affect a very small number of devs (or none if things go well) in a way which is relatively easy to work around aren’t worth supporting options for.

Having a million options isn’t ideal for developers using the platform either: That’s more (often irrelevant) info to sift through when they’re trying to find the what they need on the DevHub.

20 Likes

By any chance would this update fix this bug? I’ve been experiencing this issue for the past couple of days;
Animations not replicating to all clients until getting close to them - Help and Feedback / Scripting Support - DevForum | Roblox

EDIT;
Forgot to link this one as well;
Client-side animations won’t play correctly on models welded to another client’s character - Bug Reports / Engine Bugs - DevForum | Roblox

7 Likes

This right here sums it up perfectly. I just wish that newer, more modern devices were opt-in or something of that nature so that we, as developers, didn’t have to abide by all the different limits for lower end users. That’s one of the biggest gripes I have about this platform. The fact that I have to treat almost every player I have as a low end device user and it seriously hurts my ability to create anything past, quite frankly, “childish low poly”.

It seems incredibly hard for no real reason to create experiences for anyone older than… lets say 14 years of age. I wish there was a notice or more appeal to older audiences where the rules were a bit more lenient and a bit less constrained.

Wondering if anything address these gripes both long or short term.

6 Likes

Ok this change has been activated! So far no issues have been reported.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.