Upcoming Change to In-Game Thumbnail URLs

I’ve switched to the new rbxthumb, but it doesn’t work on mobile devices (tested on iOS). Meanwhile it works perfectly on PC.

2 Likes

What thumbnail type and size are you using on mobile?

3 Likes

Type is AvatarHeadShot and size 180x180

This error only occurs on mobile client log. I was in the same server on PC with my other account and thumbnail there showed up just like it should.

2 Likes

Looks like the update to add 180x180 to the list of AvatarHeadShot thumbnail sizes hasn’t shipped on iOS yet. For now you can use 150x150 or just stick with the old urls. I’ll post an update on this thread when all the new sizes have been shipped on all platforms.

6 Likes

Will Players:GetUserThumbnailAsync() be modified to use the rbxthumb format in the future?

It currently uses the roblox.com url:
https://www.roblox.com/headshot-thumbnail/image?userId=1&width=420&height=420&format=png

Instead of the rbxthumb alternative:
rbxthumb://type=AvatarHeadShot&id=1&w=420&h=420

3 Likes

Yes, Players:GetUserThumbnailAsync will be modified to use the rbxthumb format.

6 Likes

This change is now being rolled out.

12 Likes

Yes this isn’t related to the topic although when is the expected release date for that?
Its been used in several events and is even live in a few games but other than that we haven’t had much info on its expected release date.

I’ve also checked the roadmap and Its not displayed for release in Q1 or Q2. Is this feature going to end up like the Video Frames and slowly die out as it was never fully released to the public?

Yeah, size “180x180” now works for AvatarHeadShot on mobile. Thank you!

1 Like

I’m not sure if this has anything to do with the update, but AlreadyPro’s Load Character plugin has received this weird issue where some users’ profile rendering appears a lot worse in quality.

1 Like

Thats most likely due to his using a lower resolution. He’ll just have to bump up the res in a future update.

3 Likes

We had to delay the release of the AvatarEditorService APIs due to scaling issues on the back end. We have been working to address these issues and hopefully we will be able to release AvatarEditorService mid Q2.

5 Likes

We’re using the AvatarBust rbxthumb type at 420x420 for our game, Murder Party. Sometime in the last 2 weeks we started getting reports that the headshots were sometimes blurry, and now they are always blurry. Are there any plans to bring back the 420x420 bust size (or even 256x256), or do we need to change our UI to adapt to the new sizes? We would prefer not to have to switch types because the AvatarHeadShot size is too close up (just a face, hard to tell players apart sometimes), and the Avatar size is too far away and also angled to the camera. Here’s a screenshot of how we use AvatarBust in our game:

Unfortunately the “GameThumbnail” type doesn’t work with rbxthumb. If you use the “Asset” type it somehow works. Maybe you can look in to that? :wink:

Thanks for your feedback, we will add more sizes for AvatarBust

4 Likes

Is there any officially supported way to convert a Roblox content URL such as rbxthumb to a roblox.com website URL? That could be useful for some offsite uses.

I guess it can be done with string patterns and formatting, but that would stop working if you ever change the format of the URLs.

1 Like

A quick note to anyone using avatar thumbnails with Discord webhooks:
If you were using a function like Players:GetUserThumbnailAsync() to get a thumbnail URL, it now returns a rbxthumb URL instead of a https URL. The webhook does not handle unsupported/unknown image URLs and will just error when executed.

You will have to replace it with a constant URL like:
"https://www.roblox.com/headshot-thumbnail/image?width=150&height=150&format=png&userId=" .. Player.UserId

7 Likes

Will it be changed so we can call functions such as GetAsync on them within roblox servers then? Removing these links entirely would make it impossible to use something like discord webhooks without resorting to a third party proxy.

Why is the rbxthumb type “AutoGeneratedAsset” disabled and not documented? I really need to use it for my server browser but it doesn’t work outside of studio.

Sadly because of Roblox limits where I am using V1 for the catalog, it’s very slow and catalog is breaking often. V1 of the API is breaking my game. The form that is visible on the site that asks us if we are interested in having V2 in beta, says the form is closed. (https://survey.roblox.com/s3/AvatarEditorService-API-Access-Form). Is there any info on the V2 of the API?