Upcoming Platform-Wide Automatic Translation Experiment

This is an important issue. From my personal experience working as a Brazilian Portuguese translator in the past and having experienced automatically translated games, the quality of these automated translations often turned out to be distractingly horrible, to the point of me rather wanting to use the default English strings but having no other way to do so other than leaving the game, changing the website language and then rejoining, which is a huge pain.

Automated translations also risk missing important context in many situations which can degrade the experience even more. I understand this is being done with good intentions but I fear the result will be ultimately harmful if we can not be assured of a high-quality automated translation (which is difficult to achieve either way, I guess). Often times, bad translation is worse than no translation.

This is not apparent to native English speakers at all but it can have a big impact on everyone else in the world.

Please consider making this experiment opt-in instead of opt-out.

And developers: please consider paying an experienced translator to localize your game for a foreign audience. Google Translating all your strings often times passes the impression of a poorly made game.

13 Likes

No automated system is a replacement for translators, since automatic systems almost always struggle with context-based translation. A lot of our words in English (and other languages, too, but especially English) that have double-meanings would make an automatic system struggle, especially with games where buttons are usually just single words rather than full sentences where context could be used.

9 Likes

So of course I am extremely happy to see that Roblox has taken steps to make it easier for players to communicate on a global level no matter where they are from. Though this feature comes with a big challenge.

• How will Roblox make sure that they are actively updating translation errors caught by users? Since if I am correct even Google them selves have many errors constantly.

• Specific words do not translate will to other languages, and sometimes words in a certain language dont exist in other languages. Which is why manual translators for a while now have been in demand to translate games as they are able to determine proper synonymous or replacement words.

I feel as if this experiment has a couple of big problems that need to be overcome or at least communicated to developers better. It is good that Roblox has taken this step but as we have seen automatic translation still has its own set of problems that I am not sure have been solved yet.

5 Likes

Very valid point, but the need for translators would drastically decrease - which could impact some of these users. Personally this update would stop me from hiring a translator for my game as an example.

5 Likes

I could see this being viable if the translation list can be paired with strings in a table api for developers to access so that if there is a faulty translation they could manually fix it for that part. this would prevent the need to opt-out

2 Likes

Interesting, But can we have a button to not do automatic translation locally?

2 Likes

Iā€™m a bit concerned about translation and context. An automated process just wonā€™t ever be very great at understanding such human concepts.

Iā€™m still very excited and am interested to see the results.

3 Likes

Iā€™m surprised an easier way to switch back to English hasnā€™t been developed yet. Possibly worth a feature request for a simple option in the game menu to switch between translated languages, perhaps with a drop-down of supported languages.

That would also be useful if, for example a specific language has not been included, but one similar enough for you to get by is available, such as some closely related Latin languages.

5 Likes

Does this automatically run the translation through the default Roblox filter? Iā€™m certain weā€™ve all seen amusing images where auto-translations take innocent phrases and make them less appropriate.

The filter already causes problems with English, on which it has tons of training. Iā€™d bet that it fails on less common languages even more.

If this auto-translates and then filters, I worry that a lot of games are just going to turn into a lot of #### and ruin player experience when the Shop GUI is unreadable.

Also, what if TextScaled is false, and the developer sets the size using TextService. The translated text would no longer fit, turning the gameā€™s UI into a cluttered mess.

16 Likes

I think this would be a really great update for everyone, butā€¦

What will happen if my game already have a translation to other language. Are those Robux spent for nothing? Will there be an option to disactivate this setting in my game? I need an answer please.

1 Like

You can opt out by following the instructions above.

1 Like

It will probably be a basic level of translation. Google Translate and many other AI based services donā€™t have much regulation, and might turn something like ā€œI like breadā€ into unintentional ODing, so those are definitely out of question.

Also, it will probably only be activated when manual translations donā€™t exist, or when itā€™s something in the chat.

3 Likes

I know automatic translations can never beat a human translation, but this is too cool. It takes a lot of work to translate, and having at least some of it lifted off our shoulders automatically is great.

Keep the localization updates coming!

3 Likes

Are translations able to be applied to text on runtime? Most developers will use textlabels/buttons/boxes that will change the text, even to the point where it updates almost every second or less.

1 Like

I am concerned about the quality of the translations offered considering that they most probably wonā€™t be accurate

It isnā€™t a recommendable feature for games that use weird and random names, it would be a disaster for these.

6 Likes

Wouldnā€™t those games not run localisation on those names to begin with?

1 Like

I would imagine that if you set the AutoLocalize property on your TextLabels to false Roblox would not try to automatically translate them.

1 Like

Automatic translations runs translations on every string of text in game including those.

Seems interesting.

It would be cool to have Automatic Translation, but there might be a lot of mistakes.

Hope this becomes successful.

As @Intended_Pun said, disabling the AutoLocalize property will avoid that issue. That property should only be enabled if there are no complex words, which include names. Itā€™s not hard to code a module that can automatically apply proper translations, ignoring those words.