[Update] Changes to Asset Privacy for Audio

Luckily, it seems like Roblox might be on to something that will help us out with the audio upload limit:

8 Likes

As of this year due to the Dashboard transition, it appears audio assets that remained public are no longer exempt from the pause of putting audio on the marketplace (so that they can be added to other people’s inventories), and can no longer be configured at all (except for the name, description, genre, and comments; can’t even be manually made private and back).
The photo below is from an asset that I uploaded before March 2022 and is less than 6 seconds.

1 Like

They really forced <6 seconds before the update private too?? Only took a year of silence for this update to miraculously be made worse… I’m sure they’ll remain quite on this too, SMDH.

2 Likes

@BlueyHeeler96 The asset I’m talking about isn’t necessarily “private” because it’s set to be playable in all games, I just can’t put it on-sale if you know what I mean. I also cannot manually change it to private and only make it playable in specific games even if I wanted to.

1 Like

it has been a year. . . . . . still nothing?? this platform is such a disappointment lol

7 Likes

2:16 pm CT today marks a year since this exact update announcement was made (and tomorrow I think is one year of the current permissions system) and we still haven’t received a second update about asset privacy. Other recent changes such as the Dashboard and ad audiences are really understandable, but Roblox did not do a great job explaining their reason for making “age under 13” accounts ad-free which led to frustration among many advertisers that I assume never intended to advertise only to children. The bold portion of the quote below is what they could’ve used bold text for and maybe a few more creators would’ve understood that it was “for safety reasons”.

For the audio situation however, this continues to be virtually the worst example of Roblox explaining their reasoning and plans.

For a financial-related “temporary” change they could’ve easily not promised anything if they didn’t want to leave us guessing and checking back.

I really hope improvements can be made to it this year. New uploads being private by default is an excellent move and may help diminish the distribution of bypassed audio, but someday the sharing restrictions for genuine audio should be dropped and the upload limits should be improved.

10 Likes

There are too many bugs in this update. Not only can music that has been granted permission be unavailable, but also official music cannot be used, and the music plugin is empty,
1、1847644908 is the official music
2、Music permissions configured for the experience cannot be used,

2 Likes

LoopRegion may be useful I had to write a script to do this before due to the audio length

1 Like

This reply probably belongs in the Dashboard announcement instead but it appears I can no longer archive an audio asset (which should be allowed long term) like I could on the previous configure page that had been retired only weeks ago. I’m surprised there’s even a button to advertise audio assets.

NO ONE is going to spend a thousand or more Robux on an ad for an unavailable audio asset that can’t even be made available in the marketplace because…oh wait, you never gave us a reason. The system should NOT look like this long term and it has to be addressed quickly.

5 Likes

It has been over a year. I wish, at the very least, ROBLOX changes it so that you can give audio permissions to somebody’s place without needing Team Create access to the place, like allowing a creator to add you to a list of people that lets you give audio permissions to that specific place. Currently, I can’t give <6 second sound effects to people because despite allowing <6 second audios before March 22nd to stay public, you aren’t allowed to put new <6 second audios on sale. I don’t want to have to give every single person the audio file for them to download and reupload themselves in order to use it in their place without having to give me full access to it just to use a few <6 second sound effects. I have also seen <6 sound effects uploaded before March 22nd suddenly deleted, ones as inconsequential as a whoosh sound effect but ends up silencing an entire game.

But considering it’s been over a year and ROBLOX thinks we’ve forgotten and gotten used to it by now just like they have with the new death sound, I doubt we’ll be getting any beneficial changes any time soon. It stops being about copyright issues and more about company issues.

9 Likes

I have decided to reply to this, because there is an important issue I need to address. @BuildIntoGames commented that devs would not be able to know if any audio has not been granted permission, unless they play the game using a different account. If the knowledge of finding out the audio problem was sooner, there would be no muted sounds in-game. The bigger problem, though, seems to be that if an audio that has not been granted permission has been activated in-game, it will start generating 150 error lines per second, and will keep adding if another activation occurs. I found a storage center for logs in: C:\Users\YOURUSER\AppData\Local\Roblox\logs and I occasionally have to delete 10GB files from errors being generated in-game. These issues are pretty serious, and hopefully they can be addressed soon…

5 Likes

I feel like we’re being left in the dark intentionally. This is a case where whichever teams that were meant to be updating us on the situation or making changes have either moved on or decided to ignore us – none of this was skin off teeth for any of the top devs generating most revenue, since they had the budget to create and upload all of their own audios in the first place.

On the other end, everyone still affected by the update only controls about 0.01% of Roblox’s player base anyways, so we may as well be talking to a brick wall. I know this is a bleak line to drop, but I think everyone knows we’ll be forced to shut up and adapt eventually.

4 Likes

I stand corrected… they just moved the button away from the configure page…
Capture346

3 Likes

Roblox has just added this to their API in the latest update. I have a feeling that they will add a new service that will allow games to search for other audios and make boomboxes work again.

Also at this point, it’s highly likely that they’ve already made the decision to lock all audios before this privacy update and we’ll just have to reupload and rebuild.

7 Likes

This update has gotta be the worst update ever just keep in mind if you make every audio private there’s not way it can stop people from posting Copyright audios, inappropriate audios with swearing, all your basically just doing is just removing the helpful ability to public your audios to the whole Roblox audio section. there’s no way removing that is gonna stop copyright audios, I cant believe grown roblox staff who are over the age of 21 find the idea helpful to remove audios, the fact you cant make audios with robux after 10,100,2000 uploads are just stupid also there are many children under the age of 13 or 18 that cant get a government id because there are just children or older children-teenagers also why do you need your id just to get more upload fees. Look at impossible obby all the music is just gone and the owner is banned which makes the game boring it was so much better with music. no one wants to go to YouTube Spotify just to copy the song and download it on your pc 100 times, roblox all you needed to do for the lawsuit is just add a copyright detector, just like YouTube they also have a better copyright detector. 1 year ago when I read this I was shocked to see my entire game audios just gone if you guys cant handle copyright audios then just delete the whole audio section cause all the staffs are not children anymore. and I when I said no one wants to go on YouTube and find music and download and I mean you cant take other peoples audios for the past 1 year they had never added a option to make your audios private roblox who gave you this idea to remove a very helpful option that millions of games that have also why 6 seconds you can still make copyright sounds under 6 seconds also keep in mind there are some people that have music that is there own music and just published it in the audio section, now look at the audio section try 1 year ago you use to find a music called F-777 - Chinese Dance Machine 2 and then after march 22 you cant even find this update also ruins the hard drive for pc’s as you have to download a lot of audio and its very hard to download audio a lot of the websites you see on google like YouTube mp4 to download audio is a scam website also giving you dating sites. this can also harm children as some of them are coder’s for games and since childern are not mature as a adult they can just find music, but in reality it could be a virus. viruses can track you location a lot, so roblox all you needed to do not to just mess up the audio section is just a copyright detector its just so easy I can even say my brother is only 9 and he thought of saying why did they not add a copyright detector, compared to fully grown men that have finished growing.

Roblox you have really damaged your game just stop adding updates cause every update is just trash, greenlegocats123 had made a video of the worst and best of roblox updates in 2022 but the worst updates of 2022 was the longest video out of the best updates in 2022 which shows you make more bad updates then good updates, the fact you did a mass copyright audio removal and then doing this is just a very trash thing to do and you also forgot there’s a lot of non copyright music and ncs that are not even there yet all you added in monster cat? what is monsterCat gonna do to help with the more than 5 thousand games that got bugged over this you didn’t need to do this update been 1 year and you have not even said, publish the option to make the audio public only people roblox know can do it, also roblox why can’t you open moderation jobs for audio and general moderation just trash the fact you cant make your audios public makes the update 10 times worser maybe worser than worser why are we forced to make are audios not public if you say you have a right to public or not public your audios its like getting forced there are more than a million audios than are not copyright in the roblox section now there are removed did you even know in roblox there are late elementary - primary school children maybe in grade 5 or grade 4 or year 6 which are the final 3 years of elementary kids that use roblox studio? so they can go to mp3 downloaders where a lot of the websites they see are scams which track location, bank account,Card numbers, google accounts, so this update is dangerous for children under 13 or under 18 depends tbh.

14 Likes

That is a long run-on sentence, but I agree with this post.

SFX has a way better story though. I’m just glad that those “(Removed for Copyright)” songs that were deleted in 2020 are now back because of new licenses.

3 Likes

It has been a whole year since this update has been released… I don’t think anyone likes it at all. This is ROBLOX’s responsibility to clear copyrighted content. Where is the moderation?

6 Likes

lmao bro really wrote a really long essay about this, time to turn this into a copypasta

you know what can be done rather just making every audio longer than 6 seconds private, why cant roblox open up moderation jobs for audio and general moderation

4 Likes

also phone verification exists, why does roblox need to mainly rely on ID verification lmao

4 Likes

this annoucement or update will be forgotten, you cant disagree because its been a year and you still cant set it on

2 Likes