[Update] Changes to Asset Privacy for Audio

Unfortunately the damage may have already been done by now. I am extremely disappointed by this as well. I wonder how many people believed it was a terrible mistake for Roblox to allow sharing of UGC audio back in 2013, but I’m sure many others loved it [while it lasted], myself included.

1 Like

i mean, if you hate it soo much, roblox will close their ears. this post is useless

Glad we’ve received some important information on this change and consideration from the team at ROBLOX, but is there any estimate as to when audio assets will be able to turn public?

1 Like

It appears they still have no estimate unfortunately. Until then, you’ll have to use your own audio for your experience or use Roblox’s audio which they have strongly encouraged, but I believe many devs are refusing to use Roblox’s audio.

2 Likes

ah yes

my audio that i got permission to use that wasn’t even copyrighted in the first place got copyrighted
love this update great job roblo!!!

8 Likes

Contact support and provide proof that you have permission to use it. Just a suggestion, Roblox support most likely won’t do a thing about it, but it’s worth a try

1 Like

Another thing you could try is to re-encode it. It may be getting flag by an automated ‘fingerprint’ check since the original audio was made private and this one matches it exactly. If you re-encode it, then it won’t be an exact match. Worth a try if you have the upload slots.

update; we ended up contacting support and this is what they said:

tldr we are apparently not allowed to use it until they add a system to prove ownership (but we literally have group dms showing the creation of the audio :skull: :skull: )
i talked to the composer again and they said they used some sort of a source library so they assumed that might be why it got taken down

6 Likes

I understand and appreciate the work that’s being done behind the scenes to help creators but please be front about the real reason this update is being released.

I had an idea for sharing asset permissions for other players, perhaps you could create a secondary addition to the permission access center that allows you to enter Group IDs, & Roblox User Ids for those groups/people to be allowed to use certain audios as long as their given permission from the owner.

3 Likes

im pretty sure why roblox is doing this is because they got sued, but i honestly disagree with this direction of response, it’s just a 20 iq move honestly (and i don’t think this was tested either)

1 Like

So uhh, anybody got updates on when we can actually public our audio again? The amount of time this has taken is outrageous. Just let us public our audios, Roblox!

8 Likes

then, i cannot put my sound inside :frowning:

Correct, the reason they’re finally pushing pedal to the metal on asset privacy and copyright strikes is because of their class-action lawsuits against them.

I’m not sure why you disagree with this, nor do I believe it’s a 20 IQ move. This has been needed for eons now, people have had the ability to use audios that weren’t free to use as-long as they had the IDs to the audios, now Developers don’t have to go through hoops to protect their audios. I very much agree with this update; yes, it complicates audio usage and there are things Roblox needs to do to make this a valuable update for their platform. (Being able to give people and groups access to your said audio(s).) This update brings something Roblox should of brought when they released Audios years ago, that’s the ability to protect your audios and assets.

Now, they need to bring out a way to archive clothing so copyrighted material can be removed.

4 Likes

I couldn’t know that happened all audio was private by Roblox staff, but why was this game “GRAMMY Week” such a lot of dislikes?

1 Like

When are we getting the ability to mark audio as public again?

4 Likes

If it wasn’t about bypassed copyright or lawsuits, but rather protecting audio from unauthorized use, then in my opinion a more realistic approach would have been to only privatize audio that was off-sale, that way on-sale audio (audio that creators allowed other people to add to their inventories) could not have been affected. I’m not sure why I didn’t think of this earlier.

I really hope that Roblox improves their copyright detection so that if they do allow audio to go public again, they hopefully won’t have to privatize almost everything again in the future.

3 Likes

This update still sucks, and will always suck, period.

12 Likes

This update is great in my opinion first of all you can upload 10 free music. “But wait 10 music a month? YOU ARE JOKING RIGHT?”. Actually 1 music is 2-3 minutes long. As if you’re playing islands on roblox they only have like 10-20 it’s. SFX is handled by Roblox it self. So 10 upload limit it is not much. But you only wait a month, you can use that time to update your game of fixing your code

1 Like

i’m not even going to question that

10 Likes

That is proof that “Pro Sound Effects” is much weirder than I thought, and they definitely spam-uploaded a majority of them just to quickly make up for indefinitely removing longer UGC sound effects. I imagine it will be moderated soon but who knows.