Update to Developer Forum Entry Process

But it is much harder to if there are thousands others. Imagine that - RedManta hires again for 2-5 k$ monthly. How much people do you think will comment that now? 1k? 2k?

It will be even harder to sort out serious people from spam.

9 Likes

Isn’t more applications to a job position a good thing for the company that’s hiring the employees?

10 Likes

Good if these are serious experienced people. And that’s what old apps were doing! Sorting these serious and experienced.

8 Likes

I think considering their size and payment offered, they should expect a big amount of applications, just like any other company.

5 Likes

If they are posting it on closed forum with experienced developers - they do expect much applications, but not spam. I highly doubt anything is looking here for people doing 100 R$ job.

5 Likes

I think a major problem at the moment is new potential devs being laughed off because they have no sense of what robux payment is, they have BC and thats about it so they assume people will flock to them for 100 robux. They’re stuck in 2009.

5 Likes

Your right we can of course hire people with good protofolios but what about group like “Hidden Developers” that using role “DevForum” to verify trusted developers on thier discord, there are also many more groups that using this verify system.

5 Likes

LinkedIn is a “forum” with experienced professionals - they expect applications, not spam. But regardless of that companies would encounter unqualified people, which is why they hire “headhunters”.

5 Likes

That depends, but thats exactly what the apps were sorting out.

5 Likes

I bet Roblox aims to do similiar, but for Roblox development.

6 Likes

I myself use this system on my server, however we aren’t ample having only a “DevForum” role, we separate our members in New Member, Member, Top Contributor and Roblox Staff, thanks to @evaera’s bot (which I recommend for any other server who deals with a roblox community). But, I understand what you mean.

It definitely breaks these servers who seek for professionalism when hiring developers. But once again, I think the key will be for DevForum to adapt to this, which I am certain we will.

9 Likes

I agree with the New Member thing. It is good to be automatical cause peopls can see whats going on there. But it will bw bad if full member is automatical. The most now expect to be full members just because they were accepted from old new member app. This is not the point. The point of new member rank hasnt changed and it was the same thing before. Just other way to get them. Members should stay manual for me and keep the old requirements before even the new member update.

5 Likes

That is a good idea! Though, there are a lot of new members who have been part of the DevForum for years but don’t have a member rank, that doesn’t exactly mean they are new. That may just indicate they are inactive or don’t contribute much to the forum.

I think there is a better name for “New Member” and that could be “User”. I think this because of the change to the entry for the DevForum. They get ranked based upon activity, not based upon a place you develop for an entry. That really is just why “User” may fill in better than “New Member”.

4 Likes

Considering what @Etheroit and @13kapi13 said, one option for the new system to go from New Member - Member could be an application, and the other is a recommendation system.

Once verified that the user is indeed fit for the role, they are invited to apply with their best creations. A similar criteria to the early versions of the RbxDev applications could be used in this process, guaranteeing Members are professional.

Another idea is to return with recommendations, so for example if I would like the New Member [x] to be promoted to Member, I make a thread regarding it. If it gets enough support, they are reviewed and made a member. Note: this would only apply to New Member - Member.

EDIT: But once again, this brings the sense of elitism to the Forums, which, for me would be a big nono.

3 Likes

I will talk with OP same as I was talking with her yesterday when she decided to post that.

2 Likes

Important things to consider

• When the Application process was facilitated, in my view it became something that certified the user was a developer, not a random. Which may explain why there was a reasonable amount of low-quality creations, after the change.

• DevForum has rules and expectations which should be followed no matter what, and the New Member program was established to avoid low quality content from Members.

• The “New Member” was once named “basic user”. It was made so upon joining DevForum, we would have an adaptation period to understand how the forum worked.

• Having an application, instead of an automated process makes it so users behave. That happens because they felt like they earned it, and they didn’t want to risk losing it. But if it’s automatic, they can always make another account and start from the beginning.

13 Likes

You aren’t wrong. I understand what you are saying and I think I can agree with that. You also talked about behaviour, that is why they have the guidelines and rules for the forum. I see what you mean about low quality creations and that is true but I am not sure how that can be changed other than bringing back the old entry system.

6 Likes

Very well thought out!

4 Likes

Although I must agree that the new automated system makes life a lot easier for all users, be it developers of people on the DevRel team, I still feel like, as many people pointed out, this would eventually downgrade the quality of the posts that are shown on the DevForums.

I, personally, prefer a system of application from New Member to Member as opposed to a recommendation system powered by users. I feel as though, like @Arcuatus mentioned, people would have a higher chance of not abusing or risking a rank that they worked hard for.

9 Likes

This is the right move. Applications were never the right idea. I would end up waiting months only to be declined and I know others have gone through the same.

8 Likes