Update to GDPR Right-to-be-Forgotten Messaging

The account itself is deleted forever and Roblox doesn’t do 1 account policy.

3 Likes

Oh I see, so if wiping doesnt only apply to specific games, its account wide. Thanks for the clarification.

4 Likes

If I or someone wanted to, how would they go about deleting their account? As of right now I don’t see any delete account button on the settings.

3 Likes

They email Roblox with their request

5 Likes

Nice update! But I don’t really understand, when is the message send? Is it when a player asks for it to be deleted?

3 Likes

This is a bit better but eventually I want to see a datastore event for this so we can fully automate these removal requests. When you have a fairly large game and these come in consistently it’s tedious to keep up with this stuff.

11 Likes

I think it’s when a player envokes their rights for their data to be deleted

3 Likes

Hmm, makes sence but can I do something like:
“Hello, can I request my data being deleted from XXXX game?”

2 Likes

No as say if you are banned from that game, if you were to ask Roblox to do that, it would be like you are unbanning yourself from the game.

3 Likes

That’s just what I understand that is

2 Likes

Yeah, that seemed like an security issue to me too.

2 Likes

What happens when a person refuses to comply? How does Roblox determine if someone has successfully and thoroughly followed through? If they have the ability to figure it out, shouldn’t they also have the ability to do it themselves? I don’t like the idea that our privacy is determined by the generosity of others. I mean, yeah, they have to follow laws, but I’d rather put my money on Roblox than a player.

2 Likes

While this makes things immensely easier, surely, if the system has a way of determining which games have data saved (therefore able to check at least basic keys), shouldn’t there be a fairly straightforward way for the system to also automatically delete the data?

I appreciate that some games might have more complex ways of storing data, and that’s what the message could say, e.g. “…while we have removed some data that we have been able to identify, please ensure you delete this User ID immediately from all of your other records…

6 Likes

There would be massive outrage if Roblox tampered with developer managed data so I definitely disagree.

4 Likes

Yep, cause we all know that Roblox loves to do stuff silently, besides, they can mess something up and ruin the game

3 Likes

Hypothetically, what would happen if I didn’t clear a player’s data? Since DataStore keys can be literally anything, Roblox has no way of knowing whether a certain key actually belongs to a player or just coincidentally has the same number as their UserId. For example, if a player’s UserId was 12345, and there was a DataStore key of 12345, how would Roblox know that it belongs to that player?

I’m not going to just ignore these, obviously, but I was just wondering if Roblox actually has a way to know if the data was deleted.

8 Likes

They most likely would check after a few days and if it’s still not deleted after 30 days (The times that companies are allowed to have to delete data) I think they’ll just delete everything that’s related to the user id

1 Like

To be honest this is a fairly ridiculous change. Like what exactly would you want to be erased? The number of doggies you have in Adopt Me??

2 Likes

I mean, some people want their data deleted and Roblox needs to agree unless they want to get sued

4 Likes

They don’t really have an automated way to check that you completed them and I don’t think they have actioned against people not completing them. It’s technically a TOS violation if you don’t complete the request though (to whatever extent you have to – not everything player data might be PII), so it’s at your own account’s risk how you decide to process them.

4 Likes