[Updated] Gamepad UI Highlight Improvements

Hi there! To clarify, are you asking for the ability to allow players to move the selection box and their avatar at the same time? If you don’t need your players to be able to navigate UI and move their avatar simultaneously, I would try setting GuiService.SelectedObject to nil when returning control to the player. If there’s no available UI on the screen or SelectedObject is nil, we should return control automatically.

1 Like

Yes, although it does sound weird for 99% of use cases.
The default, if there was to be a toggle for selection button changing the controls state, would be as it is now. Disabling the changing of controls with the selection box entirely would be the other option in the toggle.

My use case:
I have made a pause menu for my game, but it needs to work for Xbox. Roblox uses the normal menu button for Xbox controllers; and I don’t think Roblox has a way to disable that. I need to use another button on the Xbox controller for a pause menu and thus have used the selection button.

Edit: I am disabling and enabling controls myself after a user presses the button to leave. I guess the best way to put it is that my disabling and Roblox’s enabling is conflicting with each other.

1 Like

@AykeriZero I isolated the controls scripts into a file and a game so that anyone can test it out.

Walk into the blue part on PC, that will disable your controls. After this, plug in an Xbox remote and try walking around. You should see that you have your controls back, and to this I say why?

Here is the game published if you want to try it there
https://www.roblox.com/games/9499926491/Controls-Toggle-Testing-Baseplate

Here is the file if you want to check the code and stuff out in Studio:
Controls Toggle - Testing Baseplate.rbxl (38.0 KB)

Edit: This is issue 1, the 2nd issue is that the players controls are disabled and enabled when pressing the selection button on an Xbox remote which conflicts with my disabling and enabling.

1 Like

Thanks so much for the repro file! I’ve filed this issue as a bug with the playerscripts and I’ll get back to you when we have an update.

3 Likes

Hi there! I looked into the issue and it should be fixed now. If you’re using updated playerscripts, switching controls between keyboard and gamepad should not reenable player controls if you called ControlModule:Disable(). Please let us know if you experience any further issues!

1 Like

Hey, thanks for looking into it! The issue is no longer happening inside a Roblox game, but still seems to be happening inside Roblox Studio.

I wasn’t exactly sure if it was a bug at first so I made a scripting help and feedback post that was turned into a bug report. Sorry for any of the confusion this might have caused.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.