Updated process for achieving "Regular" on the DevForum

I’m one of the 50 promoted Members and I’m very happy about the change. It opened a few doors for me that would probably never open for me if I wasn’t sharing my knowledge as much. Kudos to all who we’re also promoted and will be.

9 Likes

Nevermind. I’m not asking for your advice; I’m deleting my post now. Too much off-topic discussion.

4 Likes

The whole idea of the criteria is to prevent that. It doesn’t just track one or two metrics.

Once you see someone being promoted that you think shouldn’t be, feel free to bring it up, then we can look into it.

5 Likes

Who are the people manually approving? Is there a set guideline followed for each person or is it considered case to case with severity of infractions with deciding who will be manually approved?

I’ve only run into one issue post on here which resulted in a low level strike and would find that a shame to find that’ll prevent me from regular promotion after trying to contribute to the devforum.

3 Likes

This is great, it gives people something to work for and let’s staff focus on other things the automation is a good choice.

2 Likes

This new “automatic” system sounds more promising than the old style “manual” system, however, I don’t wanna give anyone ideas but if stats like “days visited”, “read time”, “topics viewed” and “posts read” is a criteria then some might code an activity bot for it.

2 Likes

What’s the point anymore? The only reason I didn’t give up when I automatically got promoted to “New Member”, is that I still have to prove myself worthy in order to achieve a full membership status. This really disappointed me.

I said I don’t feel like I earned it, but now I have the chance to earn my way into a full member rank within the forums. And that’s very motivating.

Now because of this, there’s no good official way for people to verify that you’re an approved, legit developer.

I really don’t like this change.

3 Likes

What’s that link to the page where it shows recent promotions? I can never seem to remember it :laughing:

1 Like

The developer forums were never meant as a status symbol and if you used full member status as one that’s on you.

10 Likes

This. After having read all the replies up to here I have no idea what that means for my moderation history. Is it at all possible we can have at least a less vague idea of what exactly contributes to our moderation history, and/or how it changes over time?

2 Likes

here you go: https://devforum.roblox.com/g/trust_level_2?desc=true&order=added_at

8 Likes

Great, now that this is initiated production will go much faster, I am glad to see newer things to come for this!

1 Like

Happy to see the new membership system, this will help a lot of people out for becoming Members. I got a question will the other rule for becoming member, would that have to be change! to the new membership process? or does that still stand for becoming a full member?

2 Likes

If you go to the “Groups” section of the forum, you should be able to change whatever group name you click on first to “trust_level_2” then it should show you the member’s list

2 Likes

If I’m right in saying so, once this change is implemented, Top Contributors will be automatically promoted based upon a set of criteria similar or more advanced to what has been implemented for full membership?

Shouldn’t this also be given towards developers who showcase high levels of talent within their fields as well or is it just based upon DevForum contribution like it suggests?
Possibly within a new ‘Star Developer :star2:’ role for exceptional contributions within the development community outside of the forums?

10 Likes

Are there any circumstances where Members would be demoted back to New Member for behavior that is not necessarily moderation-based? For example, if they have a general attitude of immaturity or otherwise detract from discussions, displaying a manifest lack of professionalism?

Basing promotions on activity and moderation history makes sense. But the quality of this forum is also contingent on the maturity, professionalism, and overall experience or intelligence of its contributions.

The former Roblox forums were hilariously immature and unprofessional. Hence the reason that this forum was created even during its existence. Many of the posts there wouldn’t be considered rule-breaking issues here. Many of the posts there lacked in:

• seriousness: people would read the original post and reply with responses that didn’t or hardly contribute. This is something that can happen here as well; people will quickly learn the boundaries and try to push them. Due to the automated process deciding who becomes members, this behavior can quickly become prevalent in all of the forum’s sections.

• effort: people would intentionally use poor English grammar and mechanics. This forum doesn’t have any rules about this at the moment, because it’s not yet a problem. With that being said, it could certainly become one if an automated process is deciding who becomes members. This is behavior that would have influenced a manual approval, but not an automated one.

• intelligence or maturity: Roblox development is, rightfully so, available to children and adults alike. With that being said, simply lacking in understanding of development, professionalism, or even overall life experience that influences the quality of one’s contributions, is not a moderation issue on this forum, and it’s not something that an automated system can pick up on.

Those are just a few of the problems that immediately come to mind when I think about an automated approval system. After all, there’s a reason that the forum was invite-only to begin with: to keep the community on this forum mature, professional, and experienced or intelligent enough to make quality contributions.

I’m sure that many of us have already seen examples of New Members who demonstrated behaviors that don’t reflect the values that we’d like to maintain within this community. So, ultimately: is there any process through which individuals whose contributions don’t demonstrate the values of the Developer Forum community can be removed?

20 Likes

I mean, back in the days of manual approval onto the forum at all maybe it was a slight status symbol cuz you had to be “worthy” but yea, honestly, ever since New Member, that facade has fallen very quickly. Anyone still believing in that is fooling themselves.

6 Likes

No, that will not happen. I see how your question is slightly different, but I think the answer is the same - demotion won’t happen for past incidents or lack of activity.

5 Likes

Actually, member promotion doesn’t only depend on your activity. In addition Developer Forum wasn’t a place to prove yourself as a experienced developer. It is a forum to learn the information that you didn’t know about development.

5 Likes

Sorry to hear that – the Developer Forum is not meant to be an exclusive club anymore, hasn’t been for a couple years now. If you want something like that I’d recommend looking elsewhere.

This has always been a terrible idea. I would not correlate unrelated skills with Developer Forum membership. It literally just means you can more-or-less behave yourself in a forum setting.

Member gives you the ability to post in more categories without going through post approval. Basically, trusting you with more posting rights.

15 Likes