Updates to Teleport sessions

This is a bad example, exploiters are a minority and it’s generally accepted that making an exploiters experience of your experience worse is fine, however the average player can now get caught up and detected as an ‘exploiter’ by the receiving game as they are joining long after the allowed time-frame.

1 Like

I feel like the update to Teleport sessions will encourage players to abuse the feature.

For example, when the teleport is about to take place, a player can open up the report menu.
They can wait 5 minutes, then close it so they still get teleported.
For story-based experiences, experiences that involve levels (like Doors), and matchmaking experiences, that player will have then skipped a majority of the gameplay, because they joined in at a later time.
That allows them to “cheat” by skipping levels or events.

4 Likes

Hey, this is a really weird problem to fix I think.

The player might want to finish reporting someone or do something in the Roblox menu, but the developer wants the player to be teleported, but Roblox wants more security for this situation.
(Player intent v.s. developer intent v.s. Roblox intent)

Having a more streamlined way for developers to make their own menu would be nice. Although, trust in developers is an interesting topic that I personally don’t have a great solution to, but does need to get brought up here. Maybe ID verification to be able to have a developer made escape menu? Different topic entirely but I’d love to know thoughts.

When you say

Do you mean the Roblox mobile app, the desktop app, or Roblox in general across all devices?

2 Likes

The escape menu

2 Likes

Is it possible teleport a player but keep the menu open on Roblox’s end? I think that would solve both problems. So a user can finishing reporting even while being teleported. The menu should just stay open until closed by the user, even when crossing places.

Would this allow a single player to hold up a group teleport? Or does it only block that single player from teleporting

The goal of this is not just to report games. It is also to be able to report players who may use exploits to send a teleportation request and stop themselves from being reported.

1 Like

:warning: I am sorry but the way of teleporting players to new servers when the game shut downs is in conflict with this feature.

My game shutting down to teleport players to new servers:

Since they were in the menu they get kicked out, since Reconnect works whenever it wants :slight_smile: .

2 Likes

Roblox’s CoreGui is locked and so some of the things I may wish to add into my games cannot be allowed due to the issues of developer trust. Allowing me to change graphical quality could be abused, but it’d allow me to make a damn good settings menu myself. On the subject, the escape button and the menu button on Xbox, is basically hands-off.

Anyways, I feel like the best solution in the case of teleports is to let devs do something like the movement system. “user choice” or “developer set” or whatever. Developer intent at the forefront with players getting an option in games that can allow it.

This is breaking. For games that rely on teleporting players at the same time, this can be extremely problematic. In a game I develop for, I believe this could be breaking and heavily impact the quality of life. Any player could drop out with little consequence, or delay starting the round.

Not sure how this got through.

6 Likes

This is the most optional and unneeded update ever. No polls, no questions, just an update they thought of to “upgrade” user experience.

2 Likes

As many others have pointed out, this is a horrible solution to your proposed problem. Introducing five minutes of extra yielding to every TeleportAsync operation is grossly too much.

To solve the issue of the pause menu not persisting between teleports, why not do the simple thing of… making it persist between teleports. If you need to report someone but you teleport partway through the report process, keep the UI open and the state of the reports list from the old place. There is no reason why a teleport has to clear that state - that’s a choice you make in your internal architecture of Roblox’s core scripts, and it is absolutely not set in stone. The right solution here is not to just change people’s assumptions about teleporting from under their feet, affecting a decade’s worth of games and potentially introducing new attack vectors for bad actors to exploit server code.

Just, don’t.

56 Likes

This causes problems to all matchmaking-based experiences that need to teleport multiple people to another place all at once. Also isn’t there a report system in place for bad actors?

3 Likes

They should make it where if you open the menu it does the same but remove the whole 5 minutes.

1 Like

I can’t understand how this really fixes anything, and really it just makes more issues.

Like a lot of people have said, this feels more like a band-aid than anything.

If you wanted to fix the issue of games using teleports to block reports WITHOUT breaking seemless teleportation: why not just keep a local log of every player you have played with in the last, lets say, 10 minutes, and you can browse and report people without them needing to be in the same game? Game reports can already be done on-site, so that is not really an issue. I can’t think of any other reasons this would need to exist.

3 Likes

This is shouldn’t be added. Developers should implement their own “don’t teleport if someone is in menu” behavior, or this should be a flag you can optionally add when teleporting. I kick the player if teleport doesn’t rid of them after 5 seconds because exploiters used to bypass teleporting to stay in people’s worlds so this will just result in more people getting kicked from my game.

1 Like

While I understand the reason this was implemented, 5 minutes of yielding (during which the teleport could succeed at any time) is silly.
We should have an extra property in TeleportOptions or something that dictates how long the call to TeleportAsync should yield as an all-encompassing thing for teleports taking longer than usual.

Either that or have it be far shorter, like 30 seconds. Anyone who leaves the escape menu for longer than that probably didn’t want to teleport / was AFK anyway.

1 Like

Instead of cancelling can it just forcefully teleport?
This can be pretty problematic when you’re teleporting with other people and please let the developer adjust the teleport timing
5 minutes is way too long if you have a lot of teleporting going on in the game and somebody is just trolling

What a load of nonsense. Instead of expanding the menu and report system to persist between teleports and keep track of recently interacted with players, you cut corners and decide to cripple teleport functionality. Somehow this is supposed to ‘prevent exploiting cases’ (wat??) but this rushed implementation sounds like it will allow for more exploits than it will prevent as many developers likely operated under the assumption that teleports would commence within a reasonable amount of time. When addressing issues like these your first thought should be “how can we achieve our goal without impacting users or developers in any way” of which I can think of numerous ideas. Of course those would require effort which is, sadly, often too much to ask for.

1 Like

Also how does this “prevent exploiting cases”? Developers can just kick people if they wanted to maliciously prevent someone from reporting

1 Like