Updates to the Dynamic Heads Beta Feature

Long term we’d like to explore ways to enable developers and creators to upload Dynamic Heads to the Avatar Shop although that is further out. In the meantime, any Dynamic Head you create can work in your experience

3 Likes

The file opened like that, yes. I’d like to note that I got the file from Using Dynamic Heads in Studio | Roblox Creator Documentation

I was looking into trying to fix the issue myself, and it seems like it’s related to the fact that once you give a MeshPart a texture, like in the case of that reference file which has a TextureId set, you will lose the ability to change it’s color.
I’m unsure as to why the whole head appears black though, since when downloading the TextureId, only certain parts were colored black.

1 Like

An additional question: is there any process for porting existing 2D faces onto Dynamic Heads? or is this a manual process which has to be undertaken? I’m asking this since this thread had several “classical” faces working on Dynamical Heads:
https://devforum.roblox.com/t/looking-for-feedback-dynamic-heads-facial-animation/1573773/

2 Likes

I don’t think that any of these options are objectively better. In my opinion, while I will always be drawn towards the old blocky look, I understand that these new dynamic heads will be more immersive for our games and could result in some amazing avatar bundles.

Will existing characters (such as the crimson claw package) get facial animations? It would be a shame if only new characters moving forward had facial animations, since a majority of player avatars use bodies that exist today!

Amazing update, about the live facial animation, will it be an in game only thing or are there any plans on having this working in the animation editor too? Cause i feel like that’d help a lot on animating faces.

Thank you for raising this issue. We’re currently investigating the root cause but as a work around you could: Click the head, in the properties panel copy the TextureId ( rbxassetid://9738703854 ), then on the head press the plus button to add a SurfaceAppearance. Uncollapse the head, select the created SurfaceAppearance in the head and in the properties panel paste texture id rbxassetid://9738703854 into the ColorMap field.

1 Like

Great question! One of the ways we’d like to help with animation creation is by recording live face animations in Studio. Later this year you could record a face animation using your camera and play it in your experience

3 Likes

Good point! We’re currently reviewing and will be converting some of the popular faces and characters that would be a good fit for Dynamic Heads. Some characters like Junkbot or Magma Fiend are great candidates for Dynamic Heads and Facial Animation.

5 Likes

Great question! Currently the best way to create a Dynamic Head that is inspired by a 2D face is using one of the template files we provided. We’ve provided the blocky character model in this tutorial which you can modify by changing the texture or modifying the geometry for the eyes/mouth to create a new looking Dynamic Head. You can also create a Dynamic Head from scratch using this tutorial we posted. In the future we’re going to continue building tools and sharing new templates that will help with Dynamic Head creation.

3 Likes

this is gonna go terribly bad

7 Likes

I have a question will this make people with 2 GB RAM device 10 years or older device lag? or how about average mobile phone.
I mean I have try it and there is no lag, but what if there were like 10 or 20-100 of these?

I’ve sent you a DM with some further questions!

Very excited for the release of this feature. The amount of possibilities Developers could create with this especially cutscene animations and story telling are endless! I do have one question though, will the Dynamic face animations be tied with Spatial voice in any way using some sort of 3rd party application or possibly an in game facial recognition that could detect live expressions?

1 Like

A few questions:

1- How are facial animations going to work with heads that don’t have distinct facial features?
For example:
Headless Head - Roblox (especially curious to know about this one)
Mech Golem - Head - Roblox
Cyclock - Head - Roblox

2-

Is there any chance we can get the ability to manually set the bone’s properties? I understand you guys want to respect realism but the ability to move the face in unrealistic ways might be useful in some circumstances, for example a horror game or a game that is supposed to be funny, opening the eyes so wide that the eyes spring out of the head might be useful in some circumstances, even if not realistic.

3- How are live facial animations going to work? Is it going to use an app or something? Will I be able to use live facial animations on my computer from my phone since I don’t have a webcam or will it be closer to VC?

3 Likes

Oh darn, this looks pretty cool actually.

While I doubt if dynamic facial animations will fit the style/aesthetic of Roblox,
I think this would definitely be amazing for developers who want to make a game or project that goes for a entirely different art and graphics style.

I could imagine this being used for a game that doesn’t look like a Roblox game where the characters look realistic with PBR materials and may have voice lines with lip-syncing and facial expressions?

This could also be fun for cartoony games perhaps, I wonder if this feature works on other body parts than just the face, could be useful if you want character models to deform or such in a very cartoony way.

1 Like

You can make some pretty cursed expressions with the dynamic heads…
Face

10 Likes

Me waiting to see someone make a facial rig for the cyber critter (protogen)…

1 Like

What is the license on these files? I’d really like to use assets like the eyebrows but want to double-check before I do

3 Likes

Personally, I think it’s cool, but again I don’t love the new face look. It seems that you guys are putting in a lot of effort just for people to troll with it. Kind of what happened to RTHRO. Sure the head dynamics look cool, but the facial expressions just don’t look like anyone would use them simply because it doesn’t fit the classic look everyone loves. However, I do admire the work you guys are putting into the game recently.

1 Like