Upload Custom Materials in the New Material Service Beta

This is an entire game changer, I cannot wait to use this!

18 Likes

Now this is a very intriguing update, definitely worthwhile into looking at in the future for realistic game aesthetics.

17 Likes

Emission maps aren’t exactly the most simple thing to get right - but for now, you can get the same effect by setting the color3 value of a texture to above 255,255,255.

22 Likes

This is awesome is there any known date about when this will get out of beta and be usable out of studio

14 Likes

This is definitely a christmas gift for me! I am so happy that we can now upload our custom materials. :star_struck:

17 Likes

I am very happy to see that Roblox has responded to our feedback about the update initially planned to replace the current materials with new ones.

This solution is not only great for those who prefer the old materials, and those who want to use the new materials, but also opens the gates for a lot more visual expression in games to come. Cheers!

21 Likes

Now THIS is a great alternative to the old material update!

This is a lot more flexible than I thought, a lot better of a solution than just replacing old materials or having a setting to switch between them
Really looking forward to per-part materials

22 Likes

As an additional question about this - are there any plans to open up the ability to add custom maps for the other properties of each of the engine materials - most notably the existing detail normal channel present on the engine textures - to the user to modify?

13 Likes

This is one of the coolest feature’s that Roblox added recently same with the 9 Slice Editor , Impressed I must say :slight_smile:

12 Likes

So glad it’s finally here! I’ve waited so long.

Will we be able to use the previously made materials that Roblox had planned on releasing?

8 Likes

I’ve been waiting years for this feature, not kidding. Very unexpected though, but I love it.

10 Likes

This is amazing, Now we can make our own custom materials for anything! This is going to be used more than intended. :open_mouth: Thank you so much Roblox for adding this we’ve all been waiting very long for this. :smiley:

10 Likes

Also, out of curiosity - are overridden materials respected by EnvMap reflections in the Future lighting engine? I’ve noticed previously that SurfaceAppearance textures usually work with it, but occasionally invert the shown environmental lighting map from what would be expected.

6 Likes

Wow. I didn’t think this would actually happen. Amazing job!

6 Likes

I was wondering if there was any news on creating this same feature for terrain? I believe adding this customization to terrain will boost the use of terrain for more unique maps. This on its own is an amazing feature, good job!

5 Likes

Man I can’t wait for this to be usable in live experiences.

7 Likes

AYYY LESS GOOOO ITS OUT WOOO!!! Thank you guys SO MUCH!!! EEEK <3

9 Likes

brb choking and crying (this is a positive reaction)

10 Likes

That, and the hope of painting specific areas of terrain.

5 Likes

This is great in terms of customisation, however as I think some people previously noted with the SurfaceAppearance release some time ago, it would be great to have sliders for metalness and roughness intensity, allowing us to set them to unlocked values to more easily create our preferred aesthetic without having to perfectly level everything.

The main reason I bring this up is because such a configuration mode does exist for the built-in materials, inside Roblox’s shaders - though a different implementation was used at this point, from around late 2013 to 2016, the source shader files were visible in the Roblox client, and were, for a time (2013-14), customisable in terms of what were then the Specular and Gloss properties.

Would be nice to hear news on potentially adding such functionality in the near future (cc @JoshSedai @RBLXImagineer)

EDIT: Would also be nice to be able to specify NormalDetail maps as per the built-in materials

19 Likes