Upload Custom Materials in the New Material Service Beta

already made my place using this! (oh my god i accidentally had the old version of the pic.)

12 Likes

Yep thats what I’m referring to. This is superior to SurfaceAppearance for three reasons:

• Tiling
  • Saves time by reducing the need to convert legacy builds to Meshpart builds
  • Performance (albeit not by much)
4 Likes

looks fantastic :slight_smile: I would absolutely love to see this for Terrain in the future!!

5 Likes

May be a bit of an understatement - although I cannot reveal anything else about a specific previous project, I can state that with around 100 tilesets, over 500mb of memory was being used by duplicates unnecessarily on the client at runtime.

4 Likes

God roblox I’ve been waiting so long and I’m starting to cry. :sob: Finally I will be able to improve my experience

Yes, these are my works, and now they will get better!

I want to ask you a question. If you answer, then I will be the happiest person. Will interactive vegetation appear soon?

53 Likes

Is it working in Experiences with Team Create enabled?

6 Likes

For now, you’ll probably be stuck with inserting bones into vegetation meshes and dynamically moving them based on physics - since I doubt there’s any quick or easy way to impliment a universal solution for foliage deformation.

5 Likes

At the moment, yes. That’s why I asked about the official update from roblox itself

5 Likes

Completely depends on your use, if you referring to the fact these reduce parts because you can tile I completely agree

If your referring to part for part it’s about the same. Surface appearance still wins in that department however in my opinion based on the specific need. If you want to make a 4k texture build in roblox you can do it by splitting the model into parts and using surface appearance. Something that wouldn’t look right with tiling.

4 Likes

This would be an amazing feature; I have been waiting for this to come for a long while now; this feature would add endless amounts of materials since the ones right now is very limited! Overall, this is a going towards the right direction! Thanks for the people who worked on this! I also think you should make it so we can make our own material since only being able to edit the ones we have will limit the number of materials we can upload.

3 Likes

That’s going to be a game changer. Literally. It surely has great potential.

8 Likes

WOOOOOOO!!!

LET’S GOOOO!!!

This is an AMAZING change compared to what the new materials would’ve been. Thank you to all engineers, I’ll only use it when it’s live though!!

4 Likes

So excited to test these out ! Hopping into studio right now!
I hope/wish there is a way to enlarge the material texture or shrink the material texture on the block so you can get the right size stone per say if you were building a large brick wall (as I am for my game) .

1 Like

Engine related beta features don’t work in Team Create unless otherwise specified because supporting that would introduce a lot of complications to understanding how Team Create works.

7 Likes

Can’t wait for these bad boys to make a comeback

53 Likes

Is it safe to assume the same applies for Packages?

3 Likes

I have a number of white to black decals that replace this purpose, which is what you can do. Some blank colours get false positive on moderation though so be careful, such as 19,19,19

3 Likes

I’m trying to peep this in game! Let me know if you are willing to give me access to look around, looks amazing from the pictures!

1 Like

WoodReviewer is going to have a lot more work to do now

9 Likes

Packages are basically just a model file + extra information about versioning, so packages containing MaterialVariants would work as long as the beta is turned on in the context where they’re being used.

7 Likes