Upload Custom Materials in the New Material Service Beta

Pretty sure both are planned features. Atleast the 2nd is.

1 Like

Hmm, well in any case if the issue persists or you found a repro case, please let us know. Thank you for the report and feedback.

1 Like

Right now our focus is getting a robust Material Service shipped with a great UX and upgrading the built-in materials. We don’t have anything to share around Toolbox, but it’s reasonable extrapolate from existing design paradigms.

1 Like

Wonder if you are still having an issue with this? If yes can you please DM me the image files so we can investigate?

1 Like

It has all the fields for me on some textures, but on others it only has a few.

3 Likes

So you mean luminous material and Luminosity Map support?

How do the normals look like? Are they standard normal maps or are they compressed in the Metal/AO map or Metal/Rough/AO format?

Where could one invest in such a profitable project?

3 Likes

I agree with @SeriousThunder7117 :laughing: Would definitely play that. My question is did you make that texture? If so, it actually looks really good.

This will be so useful for more niche materials like dragon scales or bathroom tiles, really like where this is heading at the moment, hopefully we’ll see more options for materials in the future like emission maps or opacity maps.

Looking forward to using this when it’s rolled out

9 Likes

can something that behaves similarly to material service be considered? im sure many people would enjoy the freedom of infinitely many tileable pbr materials, like how material service acts. it seems somewhat shortsighted to just allow overrides instead of new materials, because it creates a hard limit on custom materials and such. of course- this is better than nothing, but really? its something we’ve been asking for for so long.

2 Likes

I have this problem, when i make 2 parts it doesnt fit in each others, and when i scale a part the texture move, while i want it to akt like textures, so it stands in it place and only desimates without moving out

6 Likes

Ight, I’ve had 9 months of experience in this field, let’s go.

1. You do not need the plywood_ao.
  2. You do not need the plywood_arm.
  3. plywood_diffColorMap
  4. (and 5) Check the normals, try putting each one one at a time into the NormalMap and see which works better.
  5. above
  6. plywood_roughRoughness map

The Metalness map is empty, use a black image to fill it:

7 Likes

Might I recommend MaterialFlip to solve that: Stravant - MaterialFlip - Roblox

4 Likes

For me, this is the biggest update since skinned mesh - which brought me to the platform. I’ve been waiting for this all year, I’m so excited to import my textures and get to work! It’s a shame we don’t have terrain material variants yet, but I’m really happy to hear you’re adding support.

1 Like

if the colourmap/diffuse doesn’t have shadow/ao baked in, then it might be good to mix the ao map in with the colour/diffuse map by multiplying the ao layer to give it more depth.

without the ao mixed in

with the ao mixed in

you need to use the nor_gl one as that is openGL which is what roblox uses, nor_dx will produce weird lighting as the green channel is flipped vertically in the texture.

Make sure you use openGL normal maps for roblox only

12 Likes

Is it possible to add it without overriding it?
Or It will be in a new update?

It’s a cool feature and I was able to script a “disable materials” graphics setting for my future project!

2021-12-10_23-50-14

There’s one problem though. Will we ever see Glass MaterialVariants? Imagine having cartoony textures, then the glass looks so hyper-realistic. We should be able to edit how it looks like.

Neon and ForceField are reasonable to not have MaterialVariants.

• ForceFields are customizable with textures
  • Neon is a glowing part. What do you want?
14 Likes

damn this looks nice im gonna test this

I think I speak for everyone when I say that I want Black Neon to return.

5 Likes