Upload Custom Materials in the New Material Service Beta

I mean some hacking way making file move or bug.

When trying this new feature, I thought I could just use the texture I was using for Texture instances but looks like not. The texture just displays black, and someone told me I am forced to use PBR textures.

I was excited for the feature because finally I would be able to replace the amount of Texture instances in my game, but welp. Looks like I can’t just use the texture id in those Texture instances with this feature. Could you guys add a Texture property to the MaterialVariant? If the Texture property contains an ID it will display that instead of the PBR texture.

2 Likes

At last, our dreams are coming true, can’t wait for this and custom terrain materials!
(Edit: you should be able to add custom materials instead of replacing the existing ones)

3 Likes

U could put the texture id in color maps. It would work too

I tried and it looked black:

3 Likes

Yes, we have plan for this, i.e. you can check Per-Part Customization above.

8 Likes

Thank you for replying, though I got yet another question, will terrain materials have a similar feature where we can add more materials than the existing ones or will it be only for parts/meshes?

Hey. That’s cool! I want to ask. Is there a planned change in the terrain itself in terms of the grid. Now I’ll show you what I mean:

When the terrain is deformed on ue4, I can do it in great detail. So if I need to make footprints in snow/mud, it looks like this:

This is how it looks on roblox(this is maximum that I could achieve):

Please, I hope for answer :pray:

17 Likes

This is a global slider, if you want to change it per object it would be cool but globally would suck if you have really specific normal maps. but still is a possibility

2 Likes

I am very excited for this update!!! This is truly a game changer imo! I can’t wait too start using custom materials in my work! This is one of the best updates yet(right next to future is bright ;D)

1 Like

Rule of thumb for metalness and roughness maps:

If it is white, it is a metal/it is very rough.
If it is black, it is NOT metal/rough.

Rough means how much it reflects.

Examples of each:

A silver mirror would have a pure white metalness map, and a pitch black roughness map since silver is a metal and to reflect well, it cannot be rough at all.

An escalator step does not reflect much light but is metal, so it has a white metalness map and a light grey/white roughness map.

Glossy marble floors would be shiny but marble is NOT metal, so a black image for metalness map and a black image for the roughness map.

Concrete is not metal but very rough, so a black metalness map image is used and a white roughness map is used.

6 Likes

Normal maps only control the bumps on the material, it has absolutely nothing to do with these sliders.

Did you mean: Metalness map or Roughness map?

1 Like

When using custom materials, should we use the normal DX or normal GL mapping provided?

2 Likes

Few things u can try is to add a black texture in roughness and metalness and adding a blank normal.

Normal GL will be better as most computer use it for better performance

I think what you want is the ability to turn a collection of variants into a package and reuse it, right? There’s a manual step of setting the appropriate overrides to the materials you want in the package, but we do imagine this flow working.

7 Likes

1024 is perfectly suitable. 2k textures would be better, but they are over 4x the storage cost, which means 4x loading time for players.

the forest demo has low quality textures because those assets weren’t made with 1024 textures in mind, they are free assets with the intended use of being in a game without texture size limits.

a decent talented developer with the ability to create their own PBR textures will have no issue with the 1024 limit. a combination of different techniques and tricks with it mostly being down to better UV unwrapping will allow very respectable pixel density while still using 1024 textures.

the amount of people who would even be able to experience your game with 2k or 4k textures are such a small percentile, the chances are they wont even be playing your game. a large chunk of roblox users play on mobile, or their tablet, or their school laptop. those devices arent made for handling hundreds of 4k textures for every asset in the game at one time. the larger the textures, the more VRAM you need.

6 Likes

I hope so. But to clarify, I mean adding new materials in addition to the old ones. Say for example, I want two different versions of cobble terrain. One for grass and one for snow. It seems like that will be the case, but I just want to make sure that it definitely is. I don’t want to be limited by the default number of materials and only be able to overwrite that limited number.

It will.

As you can see he even said it, but the max could be at least 100 or something which would be good enough but idk. Hopefully it’s infinite tbh that’d be cool lol

3 Likes

4 Likes