Upload Custom Materials in the New Material Service Beta

YES. FINALLY, IT ARRIVES!

Time to swap out EVERY material with materials I’ve made recently.

1 Like

That’s what I was talking about! We all need this! Thank godness it came!

2 Likes

Can i already use it cuz it’s a cool feature?:smiley:

2 Likes

At the same time, I’d personally see more benefit in providing the user with the ability to replicate the lighting engine used on a given place per user, or at the very least allowing the server to read GraphicsSettings at runtime to allow people to actually create custom levels of detail for their work.

4 Likes

Any plans for a new Material section in the library?

5 Likes

Wow this is a huge win, not only does this allow PBR to be place on parts but it also allows for PBR tiling. This is a fantastic update thank you to everyone who worked hard to make this

1 Like

In all seriousness this is the exact solution I could have ever asked for that applies to like 30 different problems I previously had with the old system and the previously announced material redesign. The only thing I can ask for is granular control over material positioning, sizing, tile settings, texture transitioning settings, and the overall color control over the different maps in the PBR pipeline. Having fewer, more flexible textures to publish and less editing in third-party software clogging up the workload is always a positive in my opinion! But back to gushing over everything, I’m gonna list out some things I’m gonna love rq:

• Searching through material packs in the toolbox
  • replacing a game art style entirely
  • smooth terrain becoming more essential, therefore smooth terrain devs will get more love (and robux)
  • texture devs getting WAY more love (and robux)
  • the power of the engine changing drastically
  • the idea being so simple but so genius and insanely powerful and I will love the MaterialService deeply, like it’s my own child
8 Likes

Absolutely amazing! Love to see Roblox development moving forward like this.

6 Likes

Oh my god I can’t describe with words how happy I am… This has been my number #1 requested feature for a long time now. Thank you for listening to us.

7 Likes

To be fair - you could absolutely previously tile PBR textures via SurfaceAppearance - however, it was extraordinary inconvenient to require individually made UV maps for each part involved.

Unfortunately, the performance of this approach is extraordinarily suboptimal, with Roblox computing every unique mesh as a new PBR tileset, and eating up vast amounts of memory. Hopefully, this new approach is much better performance wise, especially when a more granular level of control is eventually given to developers.

11 Likes

I’ll love this, could this be scriptable or is it just set in studio?

6 Likes

Yes! I’ve been waiting for this for so long, really excited to see the improved build qualities that come out of this!

8 Likes

already made my place using this! (oh my god i accidentally had the old version of the pic.)

12 Likes

Yep thats what I’m referring to. This is superior to SurfaceAppearance for three reasons:

• Tiling
  • Saves time by reducing the need to convert legacy builds to Meshpart builds
  • Performance (albeit not by much)
4 Likes

looks fantastic :slight_smile: I would absolutely love to see this for Terrain in the future!!

5 Likes

May be a bit of an understatement - although I cannot reveal anything else about a specific previous project, I can state that with around 100 tilesets, over 500mb of memory was being used by duplicates unnecessarily on the client at runtime.

4 Likes

God roblox I’ve been waiting so long and I’m starting to cry. :sob: Finally I will be able to improve my experience

Yes, these are my works, and now they will get better!

I want to ask you a question. If you answer, then I will be the happiest person. Will interactive vegetation appear soon?

52 Likes

Is it working in Experiences with Team Create enabled?

6 Likes

For now, you’ll probably be stuck with inserting bones into vegetation meshes and dynamically moving them based on physics - since I doubt there’s any quick or easy way to impliment a universal solution for foliage deformation.

5 Likes

At the moment, yes. That’s why I asked about the official update from roblox itself

5 Likes