Upload Custom Materials in the New Material Service Beta

Even maybe a Vector2 value in the MaterialVarient could further assist that.

Adding in the ability to finally add our own materials I believe its best if it is done correctly by adding these much needed features such as the ability to disable part of the terrains smooth shading or to increase/decrease the amount of depth it’ll randomly generate such as the rock material if I wanted to replicate that on a different terrain material but wanted to preserve all default materials that would be game changing for roblox. Hopefully these type of customization abilities gets brought up to the team as I feel developers will really benefit off this feature for max customization in their games.

3 Likes

Whoo! Terrain overrides are back up!

I still have a request: option for another texture on the sides and bottom of a terrain material. Here is what I mean:

In your typical terrain like sandstone, there are different terrain textures on the “side” and the “top”. Like this:

But when I override the sandstone terrain, it looks like this. Notice the difference? (Please don’t make fun of me for choosing such a bad texture I know it sucks)

Please ask if you don’t understand what I mean :slight_smile:

9 Likes

I hope this is what it was delayed for.

4 Likes

Custom side/bottom is in our plan.

15 Likes

also for parts?
i mean so it works like textures where you can shoose which side has a texture
would be nice
and would make it better if there is an studs per tile and transperency

3 Likes

Is there an ETA for release? Could be as rough as just a random guess.

1 Like

No, it’s not for parts. You can do that by using SurafaceAppearance on a MeshPart.

2 Likes

but then there is no tilingfunction or transperancyslider like in “textures”
if al these were in surface apperance it would be really cool

4 Likes

Pls dont tell them to add transparency to surfaceappearence as pbr dont itself makes it transparent but u can make part transparency. If u want to mix the surface appearances that is some advanced stuff but it is more difficult on roblox but u can do it with photo editor

1 Like

ye i wanted to mix maybe more surface apperances
or changinthe tone of the color easyer

2 Likes

I just dont think so that will be coming like whole advanced blender node stuff

i know but i mean something like the already existing “textures” but then with pbr support
here is wat i want

1 Like

If this doesn’t get released soon I’m going to burst!

3 Likes

Don’t just rush them, this takes time.

But Z index and transparency must not be part of pbr it will be like normal maps then so pls dont demand that feature

but why i stil dont understand XD

One huge reason they wouldn’t add Transparency and ZIndex is because that’s not meant for SurfaceAppearance. SurfaceAppearance is not supposed to be used on parts, rather it is for single meshes. That’s why they aren’t prioritizing making it tile, because it simply isn’t meant for parts. Plus, you can control transparency and such with blender.

You are also discussing this in the wrong section, as this topic is for a separate update. I recommend you take this into DMs.

For me, custom materials started suddenly dissapearing when relaunching studio.

This is an example texture that was affected by this:

i actually meant to talk about custom materials sorry XD
this whole conversation i thought was talking about custom materials i forgot
but ye i know for surface apperance they wouldnt and shouldnt add it
but for custom pbr textures i hope they do

I experienced this problem a little. Check that you put the maps in your materialvariant and if they are there, try removing the maps and put them in again. The problem could also mean that your computer is struggling to load the texture.