Uploading audio should be free

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to upload audio.

The cost for uploading sounds, even in its current state, is still too high for development.
I can upload large meshes (usually larger than the audio), images, animations, and more, for free. Why not audio?

Multiple solutions that Roblox can implement exists, and are as follows:

1. Create an option to find duplicate sounds (because most sounds probably have been uploaded already).
    This would increase space saved, as two uploads would not be made.
  2. Make free audio game-specific (as in it cannot be used anywhere else).
    This would prevent abusive audio entering other games or being used as a third-party account evading a ban.
  3. Remove the cost entirely.

Many times I’ve wanted to upload my own audio, to find that it will drain away Robux. Any Indie development teams I work with must spend money on audio if the sound does not exist.

Ever since audio became impossible to search for (unlisted audio cannot be found, and most audio is unlisted), I’ve found myself increasingly more required to upload the sounds I want to use for my game.

Other game development platforms do not have this restriction.

Changes were recently made to the Roblox Community Rules which now include banning the use of screamer or loud joke audio:

Distorted audio, including excessively slowing down or speeding up the audio content to make it indiscernible, and audio that is excessively loud including screaming, high-pitched or excessive noises are not permitted.

This change now reduces the amount of spam audio uploaded, which should additionally provide another reason to make audio free, as spam audio is against the rules, meaning less uploads for moderators to review, and less space being taken up.

6 Likes

7 posts were merged into an existing topic: Uploading audio should be free

I have already seen that post, it has an official response from April 25th, 2019. It’s February 2020 now, and this still bothers me.

I’ve seen alternative posts shot down due to it already receiving an official response. If you can confidently say the correct way is to bump the post, then I apologize for my mistake, however in my experience, since this has already been replied on by someone officially at Roblox, and how I have a larger post than what was posted by that user, then I felt this was more necessary.

You can clearly see how it’s different, as my post is exponentially larger and provides actual alternative options to the Roblox developer team.

I’m only here to voice my opinion on a feature that severely affects me, and potentially other people. Creating a reply and asking for an “update” is not what I only intend to do. I want a more comprehensive, informative discussion about exactly what I have a problem with, and how to solve that problem.

I apologize if you think that I’m improperly using the forum, and that my feature request is such a severe issue you have to consistently argue with me.

Merged into other topic