Uploading multiple textures for each hat/accessory

On Roblox, you have to upload hats with a single texture, reuploading it multiple times to change the texture for your item (such as Roblox’s retextured Top Hats), for a long time I’ve wondered why Roblox opted down the route of reuploading the same mesh with a slightly different texture multiple times, this clogs up the catalog with the same mesh and makes finding other items more difficult. You can see the UGC catalog, for example, there are lots of reuploads of the same mesh to change the hair colour and this would be better if you could just offer different textures for the same hat under the same hat itself.

No hate to this creator, they make awesome UGC, just wanted to share examples of creators needing to reupload to change textures on items :^)

Personally, I feel it would’ve been more sensible to allow users to publish a mesh and offer a range of different textures for that item on its page, so users could purchase a range of different textures for the hat they own (you select which texture would show, essentially replicating what Roblox has now but they separate the items with tons of different “hats” flooding the catalog).

As a side thought, it would be really awesome if your character could have a hat colour setting and users could create hats that would change to whatever colour they wanted, the same as the avatar skin colours.

Although I wanted to share this idea, I can imagine it would be really difficult to put into practice now the catalog has thousands of items. (I don’t imagine this will ever be made as a feature but just would love to hear your thoughts on it). :man_shrugging: :stuck_out_tongue:

EDIT: I’ve moved this thread over to the Featured Requests tab

38 Likes

Yeah there are lots of these items such as antlers, hair and shade/glasses. I mean they still are good since everyone has a different taste in colour or style.

3 Likes

Personally, I agree with this idea, it would make searching for specific items much easier since you wouldn’t be getting around 7 different copies of each item.

9 Likes

I’ve also had a thought about the clogged up catalog (I mean t-shirts are already cluttering it up) and having a little color palette for when you buy new hairs / hats. Though, it fits more with hair than hats, it would be cool if developers can choose whether to have the color palette or not.

In fact, why don’t you actually create a feature request? I bet that a large majority of developers would support this!

2 Likes

I’ll port this thread over to Feature Requests then? I just felt it was really difficult to achieve now and so didn’t think it something I should put as a feature request

3 Likes

This is a good idea yeah, there’s a bunch of different colored hats. And like you said, it does clog up the catalog when you are trying to search for more important things. I would agree that this would be a good idea. I know not every color matches with an outfit. So, just buying an antler just to match with your new avatar, when you already have one is kinda of pointless.

2 Likes

In the UGC catalog, there are currently several hats that use the same mesh but are retextured to be different colors. It would be more organized and make for a better user experience if these retextures would be on the same catalog page, as variations.

Variations could show up on the catalog page like this:

Each variation could have its own asset ID, but only the main hat would be visible in the catalog.

This would make it easier for UGC creators to organize their hats and for users to find the hats they want

18 Likes