User Interface Icons

When working on a GUI do most of you (developers) create your own icons for example coins, cars and etc… or do you download some online?

If you do create your own icons what software would you recommend (free or paid) and are there any tutorials one can follow to understand. If you download icons could you please paste a link or a few links where I can find high quality icons for games. (mainly cartoon icons)

This is the current Icon I’m using but I’m not a big fan of them since you can see an outline of the coins. I’ve tried looking for a site which provides icons, most of them you have to sign up and join a monthly/yearly deal.

3 Likes

Hello, There is a similar post on the Dev Forum already. There are some great suggestions for what software to use in this post! UI Creation Programs

7 Likes

I currently use paint.net. It is a free software that is amazing to use. There are some tutorials on the website.

6 Likes

Blender is a great way to render high quality graphics. Cinema4D is a good alternative too (however its paid).

4 Likes

Adobe Illustrator is a great application to use for those neat vector icons if you want or more detailed drawings. Its paid though but used alot of UI.

3 Likes

I like to use coins pictures or a similar image and modify it so that it’s unique. I use paint.net for the creation of the icon.

2 Likes

I would recommend trying out a vector graphics editor. Adobe Illustrator is a good one, but it’s a bit expensive. A solid free alternative to Illustrator is Inkscape (open-source!). Unlike images, vectors can be resized to any size and keep their quality. Keep in mind though, vectors are usually just a combination of shapes and are therefore often simpler looking than standard images. Despite this, it is a great option if you’re going for a simplistic look. Learning how to make them can be tricky, but there’s a heap of great tutorials out there.

You do not need to learn all this to reproduce the images you currently use though. You could find an unlicensed coin picture and copy paste it a bunch of times to create your first two images. For the last one, you could find a picture of a bag and paste coins on top of it. Photoshop (paid) or paint.net (free) would be good choices of software in this case.

2 Likes