Using HDRI's in blender!

There’s already a topic about this but it’s a few years old and I have an alternate way of doing it! Someone asked me about this a few days ago on Twitter and I figured I could explain it here as well. This is a very basic tutorial targeted toward beginners (you do need some basic blender knowledge though bc this is not an intro to blender tut) so don’t come for me if you alr know how to do this bc some people don’t and that’s okay.

BASICS: What are HDRI's & where can I get them?

HDRI’s are essentially image files that include lighting data, you can insert them into a scene to give more precise lighting effects & add onto them with area lights in blender etc. lots of people use them for gfx and possibly showcases for ugc concepts, overall it’s a great starter skill to know if you want to do anything modeling-wise. As far as I’ve seen the most popular place to find HDRI’s is Poly Haven (I get my HDRI’s from there too :sweat_smile:)

How to insert an HDRI into a scene
  1. Start by setting your viewport shading option to ‘rendered’ here in the upper right corner (you can change it back to your preference later):

2. To the right of your screen, go to ‘World Properties’ (the little red earth-looking icon) and change the Color to ‘Environment Texture’

If you’ve done everything properly, it should make everything pink (lol):

1. Next, to open an HDRI (the files show up as .hdr) click ‘Open’ under the color property that you just changed which will then take you to Blender File View, select the HDRI you want and click ‘Open Image’

Done! Now that you’ve opened an HDRI in blender your World Properties should look something like this:

and your viewport something like this:

How to remove the HDRI image from the background

Since your viewport shading is set to ‘rendered’ (if you followed step 1) this means that when you render the scene it will come out almost exactly as it shows in viewport currently (aka with the HDRI image in the background).
This can be fixed very easily by making the image transparent (only keeping the lighting, not the image):

1. Start by going to ‘Render Properties’

2. Scroll down to ‘Film’, and toggle ‘Transparent’

Now, if you did everything properly you should only have the lighting in the scene & on the object(s), without having the image in the background:

Quick Tips :)

I’ve often found it difficult to tell which HDRI’s are which, especially when I haven’t used them in a while. To make looking through options easier you can click this to open another HDRI:
Untitled1
and this to view (& click through) all the HDRI’s you’ve opened:
Untitled1

If you have any further questions lmk and I’ll try my best to answer them, this is my first tut so constructive criticism is appreciated :revolving_hearts:

6 Likes

Thanks for providing this.

Can you also add how this is imported and used in Roblox studio?

Thanks!

2 Likes

Hi, that’s a great question

Personally, I have never used an HDRI in studio but I don’t think you can directly import a .hdr file, so I’m assuming you’d have to use skybox. If you’re interested in learning about that I’d have to redirect you to this tutorial since that’s basically an entirely different subject that I know virtually nothing about.

If you were to use a render from blender in studio though, you would upload it to Roblox as a decal and utilize it as such in Roblox studio.

1 Like

mmm thanks for the information…

I guess I did not phrase my question right.

It was more that your cool resource information I think mostly if not all of it was doing your subject matter in blender.

What my question was, after you have done what you did in blender, how is it used in studio? like an example place, or .rbxl. and how did you get it to be able to be used in Roblox…

Along with that if you know if can be used in a decal, an example of that…

I am actually looking for way of making a decal image, or multiped decal images that are z index on top of each other better, and or decal that are used to create a model… if you have usage cases of that I would for sure be interested.

Thanks for any information!

You can use it in studio by rendering the image and using it as a decal, the image can also be used for game icons, group icons, user ads, off-platform advertising, etc. If you’re a GFX artist for example, you’d likely use an HDRI in addition to area lights and other resources within blender on your GFX’s.

As I stated in the original post:

so HDRI’s are files that you would use within an image/decal. Technically they are images themselves, but I’ve never seen them used that way.

cool, do you have an example places or creation to check out of it’s usage?

Yeah sure, I made this homestore a long time ago when I was just starting out (excuse the toolbox models and other issues w it :sob:) but the icon & the first thumbnail (full view of the icon) is a GFX that I used an HDRI in. I can also show other standalone GFX’s I’ve made if you’re interested.
Here’s a screenshot of a newer homestore that I’m in the process of developing, where I used GFX’s with HDRI’s as decals to make polaroids:

As I’ve stated before there’s a lot that you can do with lighting and the renders you make in blender.

cool…

nice animations

1 Like